Temperance: Ostara/Easter - American Gods

Ostara/Easter x partner!reader, romantic

Ostara is not okay and you try to comfort her.

Part of dragon430's Tarot Troop on Tumblr, edited by her, too.

CW: A feeling of hopelessness.

Word count: 272 words, it's fucking short.

Ostara walked through her house. She stopped in the living room and placed her hands on the top of a fancy sofa.

It was a temple, but only once a year. Easter was over, and it would be until next year. It made her feel empty. The prayers she got weren't enough. They didn't fill her like they used to. In fact, she felt starved from this worship. It was like simple carbs: filling while you're eating but don't really help you or add to you.

Silently, you came up from behind her, and wrapped your arms around her waist, setting your head on her shoulder.

"Watcha thinkin' 'bout, bunny?" You asked.

One of her hands drifted to yours and she turnt slightly to see you. She gave a pained smile. "Nothing, flower. Nothing at all."

One look into her eyes and you knew she was lying, but you decided against pressing the issue. "Okay," you said. "But, you do know you can always talk to me? I'm here for you, and you're here for me. That's how these kinda things work."

"I know," she said gently. "I just- I can't right now. Maybe I will later. But not now."

You nodded before turning to kiss her cheek. "I'll be in the kitchen cleaning, okay?"

She smiled and nodded.

When you left, she turnt back to the empty living room and any semblance of happiness faded.

The worship filled her for her day, but it never felt like enough. She had lost so much here, and grown so small. It hurt, but, well, that's the price for being a god in America.