The Hierophant: Shadow Moon - American Gods

Shadow Moon x child!reader, father-child

Shadow and you go to Lakeside and you have a nightmare.

Part of dragon430's Tarot Troop on Tumblr.

TW/CW: Nightmares, swearing, trauma.

Word count: 1.4 K

There was supposed to be more with Technical Boy, but I decided against it last minute. If anyone wants it, let me know.

Shadow tried to open the door to his new flat (thanks Wednesday) but the key broke in the hole. He knelt down and tried to get it out with his nailless fingers. Obviously, it didn't work. The thing was jammed in there pretty good. Turning, he looked at you.

You rubbed your arms and looked around the old building, scowling.

Neither of you said anything.

Shadow stood and spied the door opposite of him, but decided better of disturbing anyone so late at night. He turnt back to you. "Okay, Y/N," he said, kneeling back down to be eye level with you. "I'm going to go and see if I can open up a window and let you in that way, okay? I want you to stay here and wait for me."

You scowled at him before flipping him off.

"Alright, that was entirely unnecessary."

You stuck out your tongue. Cold, tired, and hungry, you tried to pull your arms closer around you.

He rolled his eyes and shook his head. As he left the building, he kissed the top of your head and did that weird head jerking thing adults always do to kids when they walk away from ones they know.

Soon enough, Shadow returned with a lady.

She was pretty. Brown, curly hair, and a scowl on her face. Also, she had a shotgun in her hands. Your type of lady.

You watched her pull out the broken half of the key.

"My name's Mike, by the way. Mike Ainsel," Shadow said, sniffling, his arms crossed. "This is Y/N."

'Liar,' you thought.

Before he was "Mike Ainsel", he was "Shadow" Moon. Shadow was the one you'd gotten to know before he wised up and started going by Mike all the time.

You kicked the floor before walking over to Shadow and headbutting his leg.

He looked down and sighed with a small, affectionate smile on his face. "Alright, ya little brat, come here," he joked before picking you up.

Tired, you wrapped your arms around his neck and nuzzled into him. Shadow was warm and you loved it. His warmth was always comforting.

The lady, despite herself, smiled a little while watching the interaction. She soon pulled out the broken half of the key and stood. "Wait here," she said, heading into the flat opposite yours.

Shadow walked forward a little and opened his mouth to say something. You still nestled in his arms, playfully bit his shoulder. He bopped you on the head, smiling at you. You looked at him and stuck out your tongue with a smile of your own before nuzzling back into Shadow's neck.

She returned with a new key and his mail. "Next time you get locked out, knock on the door before you go breaking and entering."

He nodded, taking the things from her. "I didn't catch your name, by the way," Shadow said as she walked away.

Just before her door closed behind her, she said, "'Property Manager' works."

"I don't like her," you mumbled in his ear.