Cold: Technical Boy - American Gods

Technical Boy x gn!reader, romantic

You say goodbye.

TW/CW: Unrequited love, abusive relationship.

Wordcount: 813 words

There will be two more parts: Cool and Warm.

The limo was cold. It wasn't surprising, really. It had always been cold, just like he was. Cold and artificial and harsh. But you loved it, at least you knew what to expect from the limo and from him.

Technical Boy sat on the opposite end of you, like always. He was really lounging, one leg draped over the arm and pressing into the side of the limo. The other dangled off. His back was pressed to the other end as he scrolled through his phone and played games, choosing whatever he wanted, like he always thought he could. He was a god after all. Who and what would deny a god?

The limo was cold. Just like him. It probably cared more about you than he did.

You didn't know why you hadn't seen it before. Why had you ever thought he'd care? He was a god. A tech god. A god of the cold and artificial and logical.

You were too emotional, too human, too real for him.

Of course, he would never care about you as anything other than something to be used. That's all he saw anyone as; things to be used.

You gazed at him sadly.

Never before had you wanted to leave him and his limo more than right now.

You'd never expected him to be like everyone else. He wasn't human. Why would he? But you had expected something, anything really. Any recognition that you existed outside him and his whims. He never did. He never will.

"What are you doing?" You asked.

He didn't even look up.

"Stuff."

You nodded.

It was always stuff. Sometimes texting others. Sometimes scrolling through his feed. Other times, he'd be playing games. But he never paid a micro-amount of attention to you. He rarely even looked away.

Everyone had a different way of showing others they loved them: some bought things, some spent time with them, some talked, etc. But this wasn't that. This was cold. It always had been and it always will be. That's just the way he was, is, and always will be.

"I've got a lot to do tomorrow." Shifting in your seat, you picked up your phone. It had, somehow, fallen out of your pocket.

Technical Boy nodded, not saying anything.

"I should go."

You stood and went to the door. But it never appeared. It always appeared. Always.

"Can you please let me out?"

He finally tore his attention away for a split second to look up. With only a slight nudge of his head, the door appeared.

"Thank you."

Once again, he left you with nothing.

"Goodbye," you said as you left.

They were always one-sided. Either it was short sentences from you or a long tangent from him. That was often the only reason he needed you; to just talk and yell and scream because he knew you'd sit and listen.

You would, but not anymore.

He just used you like everyone else but you couldn't anymore. You couldn't keep doing this. No one was worth the heartache and sadness he brought. Not even a god.

Knowing it was the only way he'd ever pay attention, you opened your phone and went to your messages.

'I'm done. Goodbye.'

That's all it said. That's all it needed to say.

A quiet weight lifted off your shoulders as you stood outside the limo.

You were sad. Of course, you were. He was important to you, but you needed to let go, to let him go.

As you walked away, going to your own car, you regretted it. But there was no going back now. For better or worse, this would be the last time.

You got in your car and smiled.

He wouldn't hurt you like this again. Not now, not ever. This was goodbye.

As you sat at the steering wheel, you remembered the time the car broke down.

You had promised yourself that you'd fix it but, as always, you forgot. At the time, you'd been too excited that he was coming without complaint to remember to fix the car before leaving. The two of you broke down and you spent the better part of the day trying to fix it. When your beauty finally came back to you, you were so happy you actually started bouncing. It fell as soon as Technical Boy gave you a dismissive nod like he hadn't even known the car wasn't moving.

That's what it was like with him. Either him being pissed or him having no emotion at all. There never seemed to be an in-between or anything happy in him. It drained you.

The car roared to life. That beautiful, warm engine purring. For the first time since you met him, you felt warm again. Happy. Free.

The limo was cold and so was he, but that doesn't mean you'd have to be.