Warm: Technical Boy - American Gods

Technical Boy x gn!reader, romantic

Technical Boy tries to get you back.

TW/CW: Goodbyes, angst.

Wordcount: 5.2+K

What was he doing? He shouldn't be here, not in the slightest. He should not be here. Especially if he wanted to save his dignity.

Technical Boy's frantic tapping on the steering wheel of one of his cars was the only noise heard.

It wasn't the limo. He couldn't stand being in there without you. It felt... wrong, cold even.

Your apartment complex was right there. Directly next to him, and he could so easily just go inside. He still had the key you'd given him. You'd probably forgotten he had it as he rarely used it. That's probably why you hadn't asked for it back. That or because you didn't want to see him or talk to him at all.

That was a far more terrifying thought than any other he'd come up with.

To his right sat an old sweater of yours. Its age showed in the stains and rubbed off text on the tag.

You left it at his place one day. He, occasionally, kept it with him as a small reminder of you when he couldn't see you for a while. Over the past few weeks, he had slept with it several times, your scent calming his raging mind. What could he say; the idiot missed you.

Now, you were leaving for a wedding, a wedding in another country.

The god couldn't leave the states. He'd disappear if he tried. His only hope was that you hadn't packed and left for the airport already. Before you left, he wanted to see you again. He wanted, no, needed to say goodbye.

No. That's too desperate.

He wanted to give you your sweater back.

Yeah. That's better. If he told you that, maybe he wouldn't have to say it.

Wouldn't have to say goodbye. Wouldn't have to accept that you might not come back. He could live in his own made-up world, one where you were still there, and the two of you were happy.

He knew you had been thinking about it. About staying gone, that is.

He couldn't stomach the thought of never seeing you again. He'd even be okay with you hating him forever as long as you stayed where he could see you. You had become the one person he never wanted to chase away, but he'd fucked that up, and now all you wanted to do was get away as fast as possible.

Looking at the apartment complex, Technical Boy bit his lip, the flesh raw from his gnawing. And he could already feel the pool of tears collecting in his eyes. He didn't want to cry. He didn't want you to see him like this. Didn't want weakness to be the first thing you think of when you see him.

But he's never been so overcome with emotion. You did things to him. Some of those things he liked. Like how you were able to push away all his worries with a smile or how you could alleviate all his tension with a gentle touch. But, now, he hated it. All he felt now was the undeniable, ever potent feeling of loneliness.

Quietly, you tucked your toiletries into your suitcase. Patting the bag lightly, you sighed.

It would be the one, sure-fire way you wouldn't have to see him again. It'd be easier for you. No caving if he came to you, asked you to come back to him, to deal with him again. No, you weren't going to. No matter what.

That's what you told yourself, repeatedly.

If you left and didn't come back, sure, that'd be hard and you'd have to figure out how to become a citizen but then you wouldn't have to see him. You wouldn't give in to Technical Boy's demands. If he ever decided you were worth his time.