The Fool: Game Boy - American Gods

Game Boy x partner!reader, romantic

Game Boy plays a game with you.

Part of dragon430's Tarot Troop on Tumblr.

TW/CW: None that I can think of.

Word count: 2.0+ K

Yes, I did put a random picture of Technical Boy. Shut up.

After a long day at work you were relieved to not have to do anything else today. As soon as you got home, you said to yourself, it's nap time. Sadly, or maybe happily, things didn't work out that way.

As you stepped into the small, shared flat, you sighed and rolled your neck. Wordlessly, you walked to the kitchen and got some water, tossing your keys on the counter.

You had been on your feet all day; the only thing on your mind was a shower and bed. As you drank, water falling from the corners of your mouth, you noticed there was silence about the house. There was never silence unless your long-term partner, Game Boy was gone. Setting your cup down, you walk around the counters and cabinets that split the living room and kitchen. You stopped at the edge and peered in, hands on hips. With a frown, you tilted your head before walking into the living room, still in your barista uniform.

"Game Boy?" You called in the empty flat. "You here?"

After a long string of silence, you moved closer to the sofa and placed your hands on top of it.

It wasn't peculiar that Game was gone, just odd that he hadn't said anything before. He had always told you beforehand so you wouldn't worry. This time, you supposed, he'd failed to mention his absence. Still, a part of you thought he may be elsewhere in the flat.

As he didn't answer you, you began to search for him. He wasn't in the bathroom and you doubted he was in the communal laundry room. Despite knowing that he certainly wasn't in your room, you still checked. Predictably, he wasn't there, but you did decide to change into something more comfortable.

With nowhere else to look, you knocked on his room's door and opened it. It was empty. Gaming equipment, actual games, a computer, a telly, and other stuff like that covered the room, but there was no Game Boy. Your partner Game Boy, not the Nintendo handheld game console. He did, in fact, have one of them on a shelf.

There was a note taped to his computer which is odd because Game Boy rarely ever wrote anything with a pen or pencil. He also never let anything so "dated" as a pen and paper note on his precious computer. Not if he was in his right mind anyway.

You got closer, out of curiosity of what was so important that Game decided to write it out. The handwriting was very sloppy, you noticed.

Do you remember where we met? The note asked. I do. I thought you looked amazing. That's why I couldn't talk to you. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't say anything. I was so tongue-tied, it was rather embarrassing.

You smiled, remembering how flushed Game had been. He couldn't even look at you. It was adorable.

Find where we met. Follow the trail and we'll see each other soon enough. Let me take you on an adventure. You won't regret it. I promise. I love you - G

Your heart swelled in your chest.

'A game from Game Boy,' you thought. 'How cute.'

You left the flat, wanting to see just what game Game was playing.

Standing near a park bench, you looked around.

You had been around here, on a walk, when you'd bumped into Game. Stupidly, you hadn't been watching where you were going and ran into him, but he didn't seem to mind.