The Hermit: Technical Boy - American Gods

Technical Boy x child!reader, father-child

Technical Boy needs to get away from the Drugs gods for a bit and comes across a kid.

Part of dragon430's Tarot Troop on Tumblr.

TW/CW: Blood, skull-cracking, hospitals, swearing, near-death experience (and making light of it), drugs, sex, starvation, adoption, fostering.

Word count: 3.6+ K

Sometimes, Technical Boy just needed some air. Everybody does, but with him, it was more of a necessity so he wouldn't blow up at someone.

Sex (the druggie) had been teasing him a lot more than usual and he hated it. Sure, Weed and Coke tried to get her to stop, but she started doing it behind their backs, and if Technical Boy told Weed about it, he'd be a snitch. He did not want to be known as a snitch bitch amongst the drug gods. That would be a nightmare.

He could have asked for Weed to help him calm down, but he didn't feel like calming down that way. He wanted some peace, not to get high.

So, here he was, walking down some random street in some random city because he didn't want to be anywhere near the druggies.

Yes, they're his best, and only, friends, but he doesn't always want to get high. Being around them, usually meant getting high off them. Sometimes, it's nice. Sometimes, it's not.

Technical Boy, in a dice hoodie with the hood up and black sweatpants with fire at the bottom, stared at his phone, scrolling through the news.

It was a lot of shitty stuff.

He wasn't surprised by that. The others, "family" of the druggies, were at it again. Those of that sort, those with the brown hair and eyes, it's like they were born to create chaos and discord in the world.

Technical Boy rolled his eyes, scoffing. He slipped his phone away and stuffed his hands in his pockets. The god turnt to the sky, eyes closed.

As he walked, passing by an alley, Technical Boy heard quiet sniffling.

Instead of stopping, he kept walking.

There were plenty of homeless people in the world. Not everyone is lucky enough to be born into wealth or lucky enough to be able to keep their homes. Some people get shitty deals.

Nothing he could do about it. Nothing World would allow anyway.

Still, the god noticed that the sniffing was much higher pitched than normal, adult sniffling. He had an entire database of sounds at his fingertips, and as a part of him and his domain. It sounded like the sniffles of a child crying.

He stopped and hung his head.

'This had better not be a kid,' he thought to himself.

He didn't like children, in theory. He'd never actually met one but from movies and shows, they seemed insane. It's likely, upon meeting one, he wouldn't know what to do.

Technical Boy wasn't good with regular adults. Dealing with a child would be impossible.

So, instead of assuming he was right and the sniffling was coming from a child, he decided he was wrong and approached the alley's mouth as if an adult was in there.

"Hey, man, you okay?" He asked.

The god peered in, trying to make out anyone.

Something small shifted around. It was far too small to be an adult like he'd hoped. The small thing poke its head out from underneath a small, makeshift cave of junk. It quickly hid after seeing the god.