34

"You know," I smile anxiously. "There's a saying that if you go to get revenge you should dig two graves."

Fallon narrows her eyes. "Why would I only dig two graves? It's revenge. Not a Tuesday. I'm definitely killing more than two people,"

I nod. "Okay." I give up.

"Fallon," Slade grumbles, before rubbing his temples. I get the understanding these children were taken in years apart and are never all together.

He looks fed up. "Everyone settle down. Monika," he looks at me. He doesn't say anything else.

Just my name. My heart pounds. These are his children. I don't know why I'm nervous. I'm not even particularly worried they'll find out what happened.

I just...I don't know. They're super. And I'm normal.

"Monika?" He presses his hand against my cheek. My eyes close as I smile.

"Oh...sorry. I'm just tired is all."

He doesn't buy it. Of course, he doesn't. He pulls me closer, looking out at his children. He'll deny it. Call them his army. Call them his soldiers.

But they're his children.

"Go to bed. I'll come and discuss what will be done. Fallon, don't go making this war worse. Solice, Dion, I expect you two to stay apart."

"It's too early for bed." Dion protests.

Slade gives them a look. They disperse leaving the two of us.

"I know they're a lot," he murmurs, pressing his forehead against mine.

I shake my head. "No, it's not that."

He picks me up, putting me on his shoulder. "Slade!"

He chuckles, walking me into the ballroom. My fingers touch the jewels encrusting on the walls as we pass them.

I know he's got me. 

"Okay, okay," he sets me down gently. He puts his hands together. "I have enough power for this now."

He snaps, and the ballroom comes alive, lights strung on the balconies, a band in the corner, rose petals on the floor.

"What's this?"

He shrugs. "A ball I think. I've never been to one. Do you like it? Are you happy?"

Am I happy? I smile and nod, he picks me up and swirls me, tells me he doesn't know how to dance.

I tell I'm I don't either, so he just carries me, no beat, no rhythm, it didn't matter. The music is loud but my heartbeat is louder.

Am I happy?

He laughs and throws me in the air. I'm not scared. I know he'll catch me. He does.  His arms are strong and warm, safe as they press me closer to him.

The music swells, and the lights cast a shadow, a glow in his eyes. He slowly brings me down, settling me on his feet as he sweeps me around the room.

"I love this. I'm so happy," I whispered.

He lifts me a bit, pressing his forehead against mine. I sigh in relief. Nothing feels better than this moment. No matter how long I live, I don't think I'll forget it.

He smiles, soft, nuzzling my nose. "I have lived for thousands of years. But never...in my existence have I felt the way I feel right now."

My cheeks hear. "How do you feel?" I ask.

He ties my stomach in knots with the way he looks at me. The song has changed, but nothing as melodic as the words he says to me, the look of adoration in his eyes.

"Happy. I'm truly happy, Monika." He whispers. He lets go of me, and I float up, looking down as I do. His hands are on mine, as he holds me steady, my face and his level.

"Do you like this music?" He asks, twirling me gently. I nod.

"It's beautiful. Did anyone ever throw a ball here?"

He raised his brows. "I remember once. They'd won a war. They celebrated here, in my temple. Let's see," he waved his hand, a banner going up in a language I've never seen.

He waved his hand again, transforming the ball.

"Yes...I believe this was it, ah," he points up, a chandelier dropping down. "That's what's missing."

"I didn't know you could do this," I admit, my fingers tightening on his shoulders. We spin around.

"Well, I can't during times of peace. But right now...there's nothing I can't do," he smirks.

His finger pressed against my chest, changing my dress.

"Okay," I chuckle, "this is a little too mythical even for me,"

He laughs with me, his own outfit changing, slicking his hair back, a suit appearing on his body.

"I've never seen you in a suit though," I touch his lapels. He smiles.

"It's very constricting. But...I want you to have a ball. What do you think?"

I lay my head on his shoulder. "I love it. I love you."

"Are we having a ball? Sweet!" Fallon comes in, Dion and Solice following.

Slade doesn't tell them to leave. He changes their outfits and they dance around with one another chattering happily, all discord seemingly gone.

He stares into my eyes. "I love you, my little goddess."

"It's one two-step, one two, damn it, come on Dion!"
"I don't know how to one two-step!"

I smile, hugging him tighter. "I love you too, Slade."