94

Slade

I'm at home. Monika holds our son in the middle of our children, they all watch him carefully, preciously. All afraid, it seems to touch him, but unable to look away.

I smile. This is the child my Monika has coveted. That she hid from me, created nearly on her own. This child, this savior she birthed.

Stronger than me.

Beautiful. He is beautiful and fragile. Nothing like a God should be. He is a born God, born of two powerful lines on either end of the balance.

The first. The first full-blooded God was born. I may have been, but I will now never know, so I bestow it upon my son.

Monika is enchanted with him, of course. Even Azareal is unable to hold his usual sour expression. I think...in this child he sees someone to love.

Someone, he can start new with.

It seems Monika will allow him. She looks up at me.

"Thank you,"

I blink. What is there to thank me for? But I come to her, stepping around the cluster of children she's accumulated.

I kiss her head. "Today begins a new Dawn for us all. Peace."

Monika hides her eyes for a moment before holding our son in her hands, offering him up to me.

"Zephyr," she says quietly, seeking my approval in her gaze. I take him into my hands gently. A baby...I've not held an infant since Nathaniel. And even then...he wasn't this small.

I press my forehead against his small one. He takes in a haggard breath, his small hand pressing against my cheek.

"He is beautiful, little wife." I smile, kissing her cheek.

Zephyr is a strong child. I kiss his head.

Monika leans against me. It seems the day has finally caught up with her. With the lot of them. Even Zephyr, who, technically did the most for his life span, is tired.

I have the child, and that is enough, so the temple rests. I smile. I am someone who is dependable to this family I've created. Monika lays her head on my shoulder, and Fallon snuggled onto my lap. Solice lays on her back, and Dion lays his head against my back, and Nathaniel curls up next to him.

Then there is one.

He stared at me.

"There is space here," I invite him, under my arm, where Zephyr sleeps. "You are both new to the family after all."

And so, cautiously, he tucks himself under my arm, under Zephyr, next to Monika.

"I have rooms for you all," I protest quietly.

Azareal is the only one who moves. And then, He realizes that I say many things and mean few of them. So he settles down.

I smile. "A whole temple," I remark. No one moves. "Beds throughout if you can believe it."

I chuckle. I close my eyes for a bit. I've worked hard today. I think...I can rest for a moment.

• • •

Zephyr stares up at me.

"It's my turn to hold him," Fallon demands.

"Actually, since you're all half breeds I'm the only one entitled to hold him. He's my brother after all," Nathaniel frowns.

I sigh. "You're very much in demand," I inform him, kissing his cheek. He smiles, wiggling for a bit before yawning.

Monika is still asleep. I'm not sure what occurred in that cocoon, but I am sure it is draining. My favorite thing about my new baby is how much he reminds me of his mother.

He is a unique amalgamation of me and his mother and I cannot be happier.

"Slade," Fallon holds her hands out. "It's my turn."

She races to another side of me, cooing over Zephyr.

"So cute," she raced. "Oh, he's so cute!"

"Everyone settle down," I sigh. "He's just a baby. He's not entertaining, and he doesn't want anyone to hold him except his mother, really."

At the sound of the word mother, he opens his eyes and begins to cry.

I frown. "Seriously?"

He pays me no mind. None of these children do, now that I think of it.

"I'll get Monika." Fallon races away.

I lift him to my shoulder. "Fallon leave her to sleep."

I rock him gently. Fallon frowns. "He's probably hungry."

I chuckle. "He is a god. He consumes food for amusement not because he actually needs it."