54

Po makes breakfast. Monika is asleep, and probably will be for the rest of the morning. It's just me and the children now.

Perhaps I should stop calling them that. Can't help it. It's what they are to me.

"You're going early to the summit?" Fallon asks softly, as Po sets plates in front of us.

I shrug. "I think I'll try to get a head start-"

"I heard," Dion interrupts me. "A heart beating yesterday."

I freeze, swallowing. "Monika's I'm sure-"

"No." Dion shakes his head. "Monika's heart has slowed down. Fallon's too. I heard your heart beating. And your lungs taking in air."

My jaw clenched. I clear my throat. Remain in control. They are your children, they are your army and if you show weakness they will devour you because that's what you taught them.

"Dion, eat silently." I settle on, beginning to eat. It tastes...vibrant.

"But I will be leaving early."

"I'll tell Monika," Fallon stands.

I slam my hand down looking at her. She sits down.

"We will be letting Monika sleep in. I will inform her when she needs to know. None of you are coming."

Protest erupts, but Nathaniel is silent. He simply stares at me. Knowingly. And what a monster I created in this child, I can see it in his eyes.

I should lock him away, I'm sure, all of them.

And in a sense I do. Not because I fear what they will do to others. But what others may do to them.

"You're going into the void, alone, unarmed, and...with a heart of flesh." Dion summed up.

I raise my brows. "I don't have a heart of flesh. Now...I thought I told you all to eat quietly."

• • •

"Impossible," Monika crossed her arms as I put on my armor.

"It is entirely possible," I sigh, as she lifts off the ground this time in fury.

I wince. "Slade this feels like a trap like a bad idea. Let one of the kids go if you won't take me-"

I turn around. Her head is touching the ceiling as she looks at me with worry.

I sigh, grabbing her by her feet, and pulling her down gently. "Listen, it is harder to kill a god. None of you should technically exist. I can't send you there, alright? They'll kill you."

She frowns, her brown eyes flitting to my armor. "And what about you? What if they send you to the void?"

I sigh. "I will be fine. You just keep the barrier up until I come home, Monika. Promise me?"

Monika's frown deepens, as she stared at me trying to find the chinch in my armor. What am I hiding?

She doesn't discover it. "Slade...I love you. I threw this world into hell once, for our sake. For your sake."

I nod, her hands on my face, and once again, I'm reminded I have a home now. I'm not alone and I don't want to leave her.

Her bracelet slides up her wrists as she shakes her head in worry. "I can't lose you," she whispered, her eyes shining.

My heart aches, I touch it. "Don't cry. Please don't cry."

Don't make me weaker.

"Listen to me," I force a smile, holding her wrists gently. "I will be fine. You must keep the barrier up. Monika-Monika look at me."

She shakes her head. "You can't leave me in charge, Slade you remember what happened what...almost happened you can't leave-"

"Hey? That was before. You are a full-fledged goddess now. You don't need me."

Her tears overflow, and she nods her head. "Yes, I do. I need you. I need you, don't leave me."

Fuck. Fuck. Oh...the tremble of her voice, the tears in her eyes are like daggers into the softest part of my belly.

"Oh...Monika. My little wife," I sigh. She puts her arms around me, her arms shaking as she sobs in my arms begging me not to go.

I hold her, and try to console her. She's shaking. She's shaking.

"My little wife, it's alright. It's all alright. I will be fine. We will all be fine."

After an hour or so, she tires herself out. She slumped into my chest, limp, exhausted. Her voice is hoarse, but she still whispers don't go. Don't leave me.

I lay her down, kissing her head. I take my necklace off, and put it around her neck, kissing her head once more.

I pull the covers over her body, grabbing my sword.

I pause, before shaking her awake. She groans, opening her eyes.

"Slade?"

"What would make you happy right now," I ask. "Ask me anything."

She looks up at me. "For you not to leave."

I clench my jaw. "Anything but that."