35

Slade

Fallon's eyes dart to Monika. I have the bed curtained off, as she sleeps. We danced all night, into the early morning so she's sleeping late.

"Orion,"

Monika shifts at the name and I smile. Good.

"I mean...he won't be pleased. The world is out of balance," She sighs.

I took Fallon in after Dion and Solice left. The only girl I ever trained. I was always afraid of little girls. They seemed fragile, even more so than the boys.

I didn't want to break them. In fact, human children, in general, frighten me. They're too adventurous, too forgiving for how fragile they are.

Fallon shifts her hands tapping against her leg. A nervous habit.

I sigh. "There's nothing I can do, Fallon. It will all work out. He won't come here. I've put a barrier around us, and he'll be weak."

Fallon clenched her jaw. "Dion says you died."

Right. That.

"I didn't die. I can't die, Fallon. I was just...gone for a little bit."

Monika sits up, rubbing her eyes. She yawns stretching. I put my finger to my lips, indicating to Fallon to be silent, as I get up and greet her.

"Good morning Monika."

She looks around her tired eyes examining her surroundings before looking up at me.

Adorable.

"I'm still tired," she whispered, laying back down. I kiss her head, tucking her in, pushing her hair back, as she settles back into sleep.

When I don't hold her it takes her a little longer. She says she's just used to a firm bed now, is all, and the sudden shift is disconcerting.

But her cheeks are hot when she says it, and it's always barely a murmur. She loves me. I'm sure she's sleeping, but I don't move.

"You can't send Solice. He's not fast enough," Fallon starts again.

No. I can't let her go. What if he kills her? I can't lose them. Not even one of them. They are my soldiers. My army. I raised them.

"Didn't you raise us for this, Slade?" Fallon pushes.

Didn't I? Perhaps at first. But now...I just want them to stay here. I don't want them doing something as troublesome as trying to fight a war of gods.

They're just children.
They're just human.

"I raised you to kill me. Because I will let you. He will not. You are all to stay within my sight, and keep looking for Nathaniel."

Fallon sighs. "You know...Nathaniel won't want to come here, Slade."

I grunt. It doesn't matter. I need to keep an eye on them. They're all impulsive, and hot-headed.

Monika's head shifts into my lap and she falls into a deeper sleep. I rub her back. Even in her sleep she reaches for me, wants for me, clings to me.

Sometimes I take more pride in being someone she can depend on more than anything. Knowing that when she's scared, she calls my name. When she wants to feel at home, she'll cuddle up to me.

My Monika. She put her faith in me. Buried her humanity in me with the belief I could bring her back. That I could bring us back.

I don't think I've done that. I'll keep trying, not to betray her affection. Her trust in me. I kiss her head once more.

Her eyes open, as she shifts in the bed, looking up at me. "Yesterday was the best night ever," she whispered, her blinks are heavy. She's still tired.

"Hm. We had fun," I grin.

"I want to go to town. There's something I want to get."

"Oh?" My fingers stroked her belly. "Is it a special something?"

She nods with a smile. Ah...her smile.

"Very special. I want to give you a present." She sits up, scratching her head. "It came to me last night in a dream. I have to have it made while it's fresh in my mind."

She yawns. "Good morning Fallon."

"Good morning, Mom." Fallon smiles, speeding toward her.

Monika has long since given up correcting Fallon. She shoots her a soft smile, patting her shoulder. "You're energetic. Has anyone eaten breakfast?"

"Slade starved us until you woke up."

I shoot her a look. Monika goes into the bath, sighing softly as she slips into the warm water.

"Po, make breakfast, please. Slade stop starving your children."

Po bows, poofing into the kitchen.

"I like her more than you," Fallon informs me.

I throw a pillow at her face. "Go. Get."