93

Play the song

Slade

I start extending the void. It will take everything. All of my strength. I just need to make sure I make a bubble around them all.

My Monika...oh she'll be so sad. I wince.

"What do you think you're doing?"

I smirk.

The void is flooded with light, as my Father is poised to attempt to kill me before I can send the death wave.

It's blinding the light, followed by a cracking sound.

Is that my son being born? I wish I could see him. Why is she hatching him? I chuckle despite myself. How cute. How very like her.

The light grows in intensity and pressure forms. The cracking ceases. Suddenly the light is dissipating. Something is ascending.

A gust of wind flows past us. And then I see it. Monika's arms wrapped around something, her eyes closed. She opens her arms, and he flies out of them.

I see him. I know him. He's beautiful. Wings like mine, his mother's features, my eyes.

He's an adult. Monika...I rush to her, holding her up, her eyes closed.

I have to put him in the bubble. Now. "It's okay," I promise her. "I'll keep him safe."

His wings widen, his eyes opening, one red and one golden. I see now. I see what they wanted. He is...more than a god.

More powerful than any god should be. He is on both sides of the balance.

Life and Death.

It's silent, beams of light falling from the sky. I keep my eyes on him. No matter how he looks, he is just a baby. I need to get him down-

I block a blow from my father. A beam of light goes through him. The anger on his face fades away. He is gone.

He falls to my side. I stand, holding Monika. I'm not sure what this is. These beams of light. I shield us from it anyway.

It is now silent and dark once more. I release the void, and my son falls from the sky. I shift Monika in my arms quickly.

His form changes on the way down. I open my hand, catching him gently. I look down at him. He's just a baby, with no sign of wings, or powers. His eyes are closed, face screwed up as he squirms.

I chuckle. "Hey...what the hell? You just waited to show off huh? You're gonna fit in just fine."

I put my feet on the ground, slowly landing. My eyes dart over the landscape. They're all here.

It's silent. I know. Maybe the balance isn't as powerful as I thought.

But I take the silence to heart. I take it to mean...I have given enough.

And I deserve what I have.