51

I'd been sitting at the temple, my eyes closed. I could hear the drip of rain falling off the petals in the courtyard.

My eye twitched.

Peace. Yes...peace. It is against my nature. But...for the first time or perhaps because it's not the first time-I'm tired.

Too tired, to make war as I used to. For what? To be hated? Despised? I can't even...remember my name.

"Hi...I'm Monika."

My eyes open, lifting. A prayer? To me? I only have one temple that I can think of, other than this one. Still, I don't go.

She has a nice voice. Soft but sure.

"I don't know why I said that," she sighs, frustrated. "My sister is in love. A man named Donel. She intends to marry."

Why is she coming to me about marriage? And someone else's at that? What a weird woman.

"Since you're a god, I thought...I thought you would could bless her. I can't, you see. I would if I could. Bless her. Help her. But this is the best I can do."

My jaw clenches. Is she crying?

"Usually when I go into a temple, bad things happen to me. Not here though. Not yet."

Bad luck in temples? Is she a Shir? Interesting. There hasn't been one of those for a long time. I want to see her.

"I've got to go-"

Wait-

I go to the temple, disguising myself in the statue. She paused, looking up at it. Her eyes seem clouded over. Blind, maybe?

I step down, standing in front of me. She stands, looking at me, unseeing. Her stature is average for a human woman but small to me. Her skin was a deep brown, eyes dark as night to match. Her hair tumbles down her black, in a beautiful arrangement of curls.

She's gorgeous. Perfect.

I step back, as she turns around. I close my eyes, inhaling the scent of her hair, as she walks away, hands clasped together, head down. I could follow her. See why she's so down.

But...she's human. And...I can't help humans. I've tried. They just end up hating me. I spin around, taking myself home.

Her scent lingers on my senses. Soft. Fragrant. Something inside my soul cries for her, instantly. I stare at my armor.

It gleams back at me.

I wonder, about my name. It's brief, a flicker of doubt. My temple settles, the foundation weakening. That's been happening quite a bit lately.

I'm losing everything. I inherited this power, this name, the form. I'm losing it. There's been peace.

I've allowed there to be peace. After I lost my name I lost my purpose. What is the need for war?

What is the need for a name?

What is the need for me?

Perhaps I'm an out-of-date piece of equipment. I am no longer necessary, no longer needed. I'll succumb to obscurity. The universe will provide if balance is needed.

I no longer believe I'm needed for balance. I stand, heading out into the rose garden. The air is crisp and refreshing.

My fingers touch the rose. These fingers relay such sensations. I wish I could remember my true form. What it felt like.

"Dinner, Master?"

I swallow shaking my head. "There's no need, Po. How do you feel? Stiff?"

She holds her arms out, the stone of her body creaking. "A bit in the joints, Master. But I'm alright."

I touch her, letting my energy flow into her.

"Thank you, Master."

I pat her head, going back to the bedroom. I wonder again about my worshiper. That woman. What is she doing right now?

I lay back, putting my arms behind my head as I look at the ceiling.

I should find...a hobby.