4

~Wisteria's POV~

I nodded my head and glanced towards Mrs. Hoover, her attention back on her computer yet again. "Are you sure you don't want anything, ma'am? Mr. Carrillo is sending me on a coffee run." I said to her, catching her attention.

She glanced over at me, her gaze meeting mine as she shook her head. "Oh, no. I'm fine." She assured me, to which I gently nodded my head and turned, leaving her office. I took the elevator back down to the first floor and headed out to my car, buckling my seatbelt when I hopped in the driver's seat. The drive to Zanzibar's, which was a local coffee shop that I always went to when getting coffee for myself or Mrs. Hoover in the mornings, was only about five minutes away, so I was in and out pretty quick. I ordered the plain black coffee that Mr. Carrillo wanted, something which I would never understand the appeal of. Black coffee, to me, just tasted like water with dirt in it.

Unable to help myself, my nose automatically scrunched up when I took the black coffee from the woman who held it out to me, giving her my thanks nonetheless. Already having paid, I gently nodded at her and turned around, leaving the small shop to head out to my car once again. I made my way back to work, hurrying to the elevator once I entered the building. The last thing I wanted was for the coffee to get cold because I was taking too long.

The elevator doors opened and a soft ping sounded through the system, letting me know we had reached the top floor. I made my way back to Mrs. Hoover's office, slipping inside with the coffee in my hand.

Both Mrs. Hoover and Mr. Carrillo glanced up when I entered, their eyes landing on me. Realizing that it was just me, Mrs. Hoover looked back to her computer, but Mr. Carrillo kept his gaze on me as I approached. "Here you go. One black coffee." I said, holding it out for him to take. He glanced down at the coffee in my hand and then up at me again, clear blue eyes piercing through me. "Thank you, Ms. Summers." He responded, reaching out to take the cup. As he did so, the warmth of his long fingers brushed over mine, leaving behind startling tingles where he'd touched so briefly.

I pulled away, giving a curt nod of my head to the older man. "No problem." I responded, almost whispering. My gaze flicked over to Mrs. Hoover to see if she had anything else she needed from me, which she didn't seem to, and then I quickly left the office to head back to mine instead. I sat down in my chair at my desk, scooting in as my laptop screen lit up when I gently moved my mouse around.

Thankfully, the rest of my day went by rather uneventfully. I didn't even really have to leave my desk, in fact.

**

As I stood in the parking lot after work, struggling to find my car keys in my purse, I frowned to myself in frustration and opened my bag wider. I couldn't find my car keys anywhere, but I could've sworn I'd left them in my purse.

"I'm guessing these are yours, just like I thought?" I heard a low, husky voice say from behind me, causing me to jump in alarm. I quickly turned around, clutching my purse as I stared at Mr. Carrillo's handsome face. He held out a large hand, dangling my car keys between his thumb and pointer finger. Surprised, I slowly nodded my head. "Um, yes...Yeah, those are mine." I answered, stepping forward to carefully take them from him. "Thank you." I said softly as I glanced up to him. My eyes met his and he dropped his long arm back to his side, pushing his hands deep into the front pockets of his slacks.

"Where'd you find these?" I asked, confused. It seemed that they hadn't been left in my purse like I thought. Mr. Carrillo shrugged his shoulders, a gust of wind blowing through his dark brown hair. "They were on the floor outside of the elevator. I figured they must've been yours, since nobody else aside from you and Hoover seem to work on the top floor." He told me, his low voice coming out incredibly smooth.

I curled my fingers around the keys as I held them in the palm of my hand, giving him a small, thankful smile. "Oh. They must've fallen out of my purse somehow and I didn't notice." I said, feeling a little bit dumb. No wonder I couldn't find them.

Mr. Carrillo shifted, cocking his head to the side in a manner that made him appear a little less serious. "Well, then it's a good thing I was still here, hm?" He responded in a hum, causing me to giggle softly. I nodded my head, biting on the inside of my cheek. "It seems like it." I agreed in a whisper. "Thank you again." I added, to which he gave me a nod of his head. For a moment he let his gaze linger on mine before he turned, striding off across the dark parking lot. I watched him go, my gaze peering into the broad span of his shoulders as he left.

When he was gone I turned back to my car, quickly unlocking my car door with the keys he'd returned to me. I hopped in the driver's seat and slammed my door, locking it before I stuck the key in the ignition and turned on the engine. My purse was set to the side in the passenger's seat so it wasn't in my way, reversing out of the parking lot to begin my drive back to my apartment. Thankfully, my drive wasn't very long since it was late and there wasn't very much traffic this late at night.

The darkness of my apartment greeted me when I opened up the front door, a sigh of relief leaving me as I stepped inside and shut the door behind me, locking it. I set my purse on the table beside my couch, kicking off my shoes before I made my way down the hallway towards my room to change. After I'd taken off my makeup and put on some comfy pajamas, I turned out the lights and flopped into bed, worn out from my long shift at work. For a while I tried to fall asleep, but I couldn't seem to get comfortable and ended up tossing and turning in bed, wide awake.

It was dark and lonely, making it hard for me to sleep. On nights like these I wished I didn't live by myself, that Owen and I lived together, but he had already told me before that he didn't want that. I was ready, and I had been for about four months now out of our almost year long relationship, but he insisted that it was still too soon. That, of course, meant I had to wait, but it didn't mean that I necessarily liked it.

A lot of the time Owen would brush off the topic if I tried to bring it up, so eventually I just gave up on it altogether. There was no point trying to ask when he never seemed to change his mind, and when he wouldn't discuss what exactly he was uncomfortable with. It was simply easier to just leave it be.

I buried my face into the cold side of my pillow after I flipped it over, trying to distract myself from the dumb thoughts that my brain dwelled on. Though it took me a while, I eventually managed to drift off into sleep, clutching tightly to my pillow still.