9

~Wisteria's POV~

I sat beside Cayn as we ate lunch with one another, dipping a french fry into some ketchup. "You know, Mrs. Hoover never told me what company you run." I mentioned, realizing that I somehow still had yet to know.

He glanced my way, crystal-like eyes piercing into my darker ones. "Sounds like her." He chuckled, low and deep. "I'm the CEO of Inc Yard. My father started it, and then I took over." He explained, taking a large bite out of the burger that he had ordered. I paused and held the french fry in my hand still, wondering if I had heard him right. "Inc Yard?" I echoed, stunned.

Cayn nodded, not seeming to notice my shock until I remained silent, digesting the information. "You seem a little stunlocked there, Wisteria." He said when he noticed, a playful tone to his voice. "Something wrong?" He wondered. I hesitated and then shook my head, still a bit surprised. "No, I just.. I wasn't expecting it to be such a big company." I said, deciding to tell a tiny fib. There was no reason to bring up Owen, or to tell him that he was my boyfriend's boss. He probably didn't even know Owen in the first place. Besides, I truly hadn't expected it to be such a well known company that he was the CEO of. Inc Yard was incredibly popular in the world of business, even I knew that.

A smile played across Cayn's full lips. "Ah, yeah, I get that a lot, actually." He chuckled, taking a sip from his cup of water. "Most people just don't believe I'm a CEO when they hear how old I am." He told me, causing me to smile slightly. "Well, most CEOs are old men, Cayn." I teased, giggling when he rolled his eyes and nudged me with his firm elbow.

I popped my fry into my mouth, getting passed the surprise that I'd felt to find out he was my boyfriend's boss. It felt a little odd, looking at him and knowing that Owen worked for him. I frowned to myself, stealing yet another glance towards him out of the corner of my eye as I ate another fry. He easily noticed, a sly smile growing across his face as he set the burger in his hands back onto his plate to instead begin to eat some of his french fries. "Something on your mind?" He asked, peering down at me with a brow cocked up.

"N-No, nothing, really." I said, not about to tell him what I was thinking about. "Do you like the burger?" I asked, changing the subject. I'd picked my favorite burger joint for us to go to, which I had been surprised to hear that Cayn had never been to.

Though I could tell by the way he cocked up a brow that he noticed my not so subtle change in subject, he was kind enough not to comment on it. "Mm, it's okay." He responded, but I could hear the playful note within his tone that made my lips twitch up. I let out a soft giggle and rolled my eyes, taking a bite of my own burger. "You know it's good. Come on, I was honest about liking Bubba's." I said, watching as his lips twitched up slightly. "Okay, yes, it's good. I was just fucking around with you." He agreed with a chuckle.

The two of us continued eating, exchanging conversation between bites of food. After we finished eating we threw the trash away, my eyes flicking up to him as he adjusted his jacket. "Ready to go?" I asked, pushing a dark curl back. He nodded, gesturing for me to head out the door first.

I went to do so, only taking a single step out the door before my phone began to ring in my purse, causing me to stop. A furrow formed between my brows as I dug into my purse, wondering who was calling me. "Should I step away, so you can take that?" Cayn asked, but I shook my head and glanced at the screen. "No, that's okay. Just give me a moment." I said, accepting the call from Owen. I held the phone up to my ear, a smile on my face. "Hi, O." I chirped, walking with Cayn back towards my car.

"Hey, love." He greeted with a hum. "What are you up to?" He asked, causing me to bite on my bottom lip and glance up at Cayn. "I just finished eating lunch, and I'm heading back to work now." I told him, grabbing my keys from my purse to unlock my car. Owen let out a huff. "Shit, I was hoping we could have lunch together, but I guess I was a little late." He said sulkily. My teeth bit down on the inside of my cheek and I swung open my driver's side door, getting into the car while Cayn got in on the passenger's side. "Well, you still owe me for missing our last date. Maybe we could reschedule that instead?" I suggested, buckling my seatbelt.

My words seemed to catch Cayn's attention, who flicked his gaze over to me as I waited on Owen's response. He hesitated, causing my lips to tug down in a frown. "I'm guessing the silence means no...?" I trailed, peering down at my lap.

Owen sighed softly. "Sorry. I'm pretty busy at work all this week, love." He apologized, but I just simply frowned and shrugged my shoulders. I stuck my key into the ignition and turned on the car, feeling Cayn's gaze still on the side of my face. "No, you don't have to apologize, O. It's fine. We can always do it some other time." I said, trying to sound optimistic. I didn't want to make him feel bad, but I couldn't lie in saying that I was upset. He seemed to have even less time for me than normal now. Maybe I'd just have to get used to that for a while, at least until his job was more secured.

"You're sure?" He asked, uncertain and clearly worried. I nodded, even though I knew he couldn't see me. "Yeah, I'm sure. I should go, though. I need to drive." I told him softly, waiting until he quietly bid me goodbye before I hung up. As I put my phone back into my purse, Cayn continued to look at me closely, examining the side of my face, but I didn't say anything.

"Are you okay?" Cayn asked with a frown, to which I nodded my head and began to reverse out of the parking lot. "Just peachy." I said softly, beginning the drive back to the office as a silence fell between us.