28*

~Wisteria's POV~

I entered the office the next day after having left to grab lunch for Mrs. Hoover, stepping out of the elevator on the top floor once the doors finally slid open.

The white pumps on my feet quietly thumped against the floor as I made my way down the hall, knocking on the door to her office once I reached it. "Come in!" She called, and only then did I enter, carrying her bag of food with me in hand. A smile formed on her lips when she spotted it, eyeing the bag when I set it down on the empty corner of her desk. "Thanks." She said simply, giving me a little wave of her dainty hand as a way of dismissal.

So I hurried my way out of her office, beginning back down the hall towards mine. I felt my stomach grumble and placed a hand over my belly, regretting the decision that I'd made to not get something for myself for lunch. What had I been thinking?

Pouting slightly as I considered heading out again to pick myself something up, I entered my office and glanced up when I noticed the large figure leaned against the front of my desk. It surprised me at first, as I hadn't been expecting anyone to be in here, and I almost tripped over my own feet when I stumbled back in shock. However, I quickly realized that it was only Cayn, making the surprise disappear to be replaced with embarrassment when I saw the amused smirk on his handsome face.

"Did I scare you, sweetheart?" He teased, only making a flush creep its way up my neck and into my cheeks. I huffed and slammed the door to my office shut, crossing my arms over my chest as I began to approach him. "You didn't even tell me you were going to be here. Of course you scared me!" I huffed, my irritation only making him grin playfully at me. My heart couldn't help but to flutter at the sight of his smile, and all previous thoughts I'd had disappeared. "So?" I cocked up a brow at him curiously. "What are you doing here? I thought you said you were working at your office today." I mentioned, thoroughly confused.

He gestured behind him, causing me to glance down at my desk, where a bag of Chinese food sat. My stomach grumbled at the smell of it when I sniffed the air, which I hoped he didn't hear. "I decided to bring lunch, so we could eat together." He answered, pushing off the desk. I watched him grab the bag of food and make his way to the couch, gesturing for me to join him as he sat down. "Come here. Let's eat." He said, my heart fluttering in my chest as I sat down beside him on the couch.

I waited as he sorted through the food, handing me a thing of fried rice and general tso's chicken, which was my favorite thing to get. A smile graced my lips as I opened up the lids, the delicious scent wafting into the air from the small box. "You didn't have to buy me lunch, you know." I told him, glancing his way.

Cayn just rolled his eyes and stretched his long legs out, crossing his ankles. "I know you didn't eat breakfast this morning, sweetheart. And judging by the way your stomach was growling, I'd assume you haven't had lunch yet, either." He retorted ever so smartly. I pursed my lips, knowing that I couldn't argue with him on that. The only reason he knew I hadn't eaten breakfast was because he had called me this morning, when I was barely awake and leaving my apartment.

Wordlessly, I leaned over and gave him a soft kiss on the cheek as thanks, not at all missing the surprise that crossed his face when I pulled away. Still, I didn't say anything and instead just began to eat my food, feeling his eyes on me as I did. There was a slight heat in my cheeks due to the blush that filled them, but I was thankfully wearing makeup, so it wasn't obvious.

Smiling slightly, Cayn turned and began to eat his food as well, the two of us settling into a comfortable silence with one another. We both ate our food before I rose from the couch when I finished, tossing my trash into the small can just beneath my desk. I turned around and glanced up when my eyes landed on Cayn's chest as he stood before me, my butt pressing against the edge of my desk when he gently pushed me back against it.