Chapter Eight - The Interview

A four? A f*cking four? How the hell did I manage to get a four? This was bullshit.

   I could feel all eyes on me as the big number four flew across the screen next the picture of my head. Caesar Flickerman made a small face that seemed to almost be disappointed in me, as if he knew who I was. I turned to look at Tobias but I wasn't sure what he was thinking, that was, until his lips curled into a slight smirk.

That bastard.

   I wasn't sure what I was feeling, was I mad or sad? It all happened so quickly, and as fast as it was said, the next tribute was on screen. I knew I had done badly but I showed them something, I showed them a skill that was going to be useful in the arena. How the hell could I have failed so badly?

   "Reef..." Finnick tried, holding my hand tighter but I got up quickly from my seat.

   "I need a second." I said as I  walked off deeper into the apartment. I couldn't be around all of them, not right now. I had to figure this out and Tobias was being the dick I always knew he was.

   I headed for my room, walking through the door and pushing my hair back with my hands. I was mad, really mad, but what was I supposed to do? What's done is done, I couldn't change the Gamemakers mind, so what can I do? The score wasn't going to get me killed by the tributes, except it may have killed my ego. However, when it came to sponsors I was pretty much screwed.

   "Reef?" It was Finnick, I didn't have to see him to know it was him, I knew he'd follow me. I didn't mind it though, if I wanted a pep talk from anyone then it would be from him. "Hey, it isn't that bad."

"I got a four." I said flatly and Finnick looked down to his feet and then back to me.

"Sunshine, it really isn't..."

"Imma f*cking need Jesus." I cut him off, making Finnick laugh as he walked up to me, putting his hand on my shoulders.

   "Well, this isn't ideal but I think we can make it work." Finnick told me and I sighed, resting my forehead against his shoulder and taking a deep breath. I let my thoughts settle, letting my mind clear so that I could let things register, and that's when it hit me.

   "You know what..." I suddenly said, lifting my head with a smile which intrigued the boy. "I can make it work."

   "You got some kind of plan?"

   "I'm already a Career, you said yourself that we're already allies, they just think I'm weaker then them." I told him, thinking hard about my situation. "A Career can only be threatened by another Career which means they're going to kill the strongest first when it gets to that point."

"Or they kill the weakest first." Finnick brought up but I put my finger to his mouth to shut him up.

"Shut up with your useless logic." I said back in return. "If they don't care about me, and I'm expendable..."

   "They're going to underestimate you." Finnick finished and I nodded.

   "They can't stab me in the back if I stab them first." I said slyly and that made Finnick laugh which sent a wave of heat to my face.

   "I think you just found your winning strategy Reef Barlowe."

   "I hope so." I said and Finnick hugged me softly in a way that sent waves of reassurance through my body but also butterflies in my stomach. I hugged him back tightly, feeling safer in his arms then in anyone else's. What was it about him that made me feel safe? I guess it didn't really matter, all that mattered was that he believed in me.