Chapter Fifty-Two - Mutts

Reef

Mutts

God I hate that word

It's like nails on a fucking chalkboard to me

I felt my breaths become more rapid and out of control so I gripped onto my armoured up chest. Tears rolled down my cheeks and I kept breathing in and out so heavily that it echoed across the room. My palms were sweaty and my entire body was trembling in fear.

"Someone has to calm her down!" Katniss told Finnick specifically while she walked over to Pollux.

"Reef, look at me." Finnick said gently, resting both his hands on my cheeks so that I had to stare at him. But when I did, I saw his lifeless green eyes staring back at me with blood smeared across his body.

   "Your going to die, I saw it!" I told him but Finnick shook his head, trying to assure me that everything was going to be okay.

   "It's okay, your okay." Finnick tried but I shook my head.

   "They ripped you apart!"

   "Reef, that was a sim, remember?" Peeta reminded me but I shook my head.

   "Tell that to the mutts hunting us down right now!" I shouted but without thinking, Finnick covered my mouth with his hand and turned to the rest of the unit.

   "Pollux, lead us out of here." Jackson said and the man nodded, making his way out of the tunnel with us right behind him.

   I heard the splashing of water as we all jumped back into the main tunnel system. Kai made sure that Kit was always behind him while Finnick made sure I was right by his side. There was an intense tension in the group as Gale lifted up his crossbow. With it, he shot an arrow of fire that hit the wall all the way at the end of the tunnel, giving us some kind of direction.

   We kept going, the water splashing my knees as my breaths continued to come out rapidly. Everything in me wanted to just curl up into a ball and die right then and there. But Finnick grabbed my hand, squeezing it tightly to remind me that he was still there. That he was okay and so was I.

   We edged our way around the corner of another tunnel entrance, Gale shooting another arrow of fire and lighting up the walkway. At least it meant we were clear. But for how long would that last?

   Pollux lead us to a crawl space in the wall that lead to yet another tunnel in the sewage system. We all watched as the man crawled through to the other side, his gun and light raised as he shined it around the open space. Behind me, Kai and Jackson watched our backs to make sure no mutts came from behind.

Even though they were no where to be seen, you could hear them, lurking in the darkness. Their vicious snarls and ominous whispers echoed through the closed-in space, making it almost impossible to block out. I covered my ears, hoping that it would make it stop, but it didn't. Their sounds kept repeating in my head like a song. A horrible, awful, terrifying song.

Pollux gave us the all clear and everyone started going through to the other side to join the man. Finnick took my hand, looking into my eyes and kissing me softly and quickly.

"You first." He told me but I shook my head. "Go, I'm right behind you, I promise."

"I'll meet you on the other side, okay?" Peeta told me and I nodded hesitantly as he crawled through after Kit.

"Okay, your turn." Kai told me and I took a deep breath, my bare hands feeling the cold of the concrete as I leapt into the open space. I felt my back press against the roof as I continued forward, my feet finding the ground shortly after.