Chapter Ten - Snow Storm

I ran through the forest, the snow storm getting heavier and making everything darker and harder to see. My boots sunk into the snow and the wind smacked against my face, making every part of my bare skin numb. I looked back and heard the screams of more tributes but it wasn't much, not as much as there was five minuets ago.

I was in too much shock for any of the events to process through my head, all I could process was that I had to run. There was no one chasing me that I knew of but what did that matter? As I trudged forward though, my foot must have gotten caught on a tree root because my body went down, falling through the snow and rolling onto my back.

I laid on my back for a second, looking up to the sky as the snowflakes showered on me, cooling down the stinging cuts on my neck and the light scratch on my arm. I let out an exasperated breath that came out in a huge puff of steam.

Everything happened so quickly and it was all so intense. I knew I should have gotten up but I was so tired that I just sat there for a minuet. Eventually I did sit up, wiping the snow off of myself and fixing the bag on my shoulders. I would check it's contents but this wasn't the place to do it, not with all the other tributes still out there somewhere, maybe even watching me right now.

BOOM

I jumped at the sound of the loud cannon screaming out to the arena, echoing in my ears as a reminder of where I was, as if the snow and death wasn't enough of a reminder. I got up to my feet listening as the cannon went off again and again and again, not stopping until it had gone off thirteen times. That meant thirteen were dead. That meant that over half of the tributes were dead and the rest were alive, including the Careers. Including me. Hopefully including Cage and Alice.

I rose to my feet, waiting to hear anymore cannons go off but there was nothing. I looked around but it was the same, trees and snow for miles without any change, no signs of any life around. I don't think the Gamemakers thought through the whole snow thing. This cold would kill off most of the tributes without the need for them to fight which would bore the viewers.

I snapped out of my thoughts when I swear that I heard something out in the distance. When I looked there was nobody there, just the thick fog of the storm. I knew I had to move on so I turned to the direction I saw Cage and Alice running, knowing that my best chance of survival was with them. They probably knew how to survive in the cold better then I did, considering they were from twelve. I heard it would get pretty cold down in twelve, but I wouldn't know, it's just what I've been told.

I walked through the forest slowly but with purpose, always looking back to see if anyone was trying to sneak up on me. I've never felt so scared in my entire life that someone was going to jump out of the shadows and slit my throat with a knife. The icy snow crackled and broke beneath my feet, not being fluffy and soft like I had always thought it'd be.

I trudged on, the storm getting worse and worse by the minuet to the point where I couldn't see my hands or the trees unless they were right in front of my face. The bleeding from my neck had stopped but that was the least of my problems, the cold being my number one. I hugged my shivering body for warmth and every part of my body was numb. I couldn't even feel my fingers even if I tried.

After another five minuets of continuing my journey, my legs were getting tired and dragging through the snow. How there wasn't another cannon death was beyond me. Maybe there was and I didn't hear it seen as I wasn't exactly paying attention.

I knew I needed water, my body working really hard to stop me from dropping dead. My lips were chapped and blue, my hair covered in snowflakes, skin pale, and my throat in a burning pain from being so dry. I wasn't sure how long I was going to last out here with the storm being as bad as it was and my health obviously deteriorating.