Chapter Fifty-Two - Tigris

(From now on, the POV is all Reef unless it's changed to someone else for a while. If the chapter starts with no name, assume it's Reef. Rest In Peace Kai, we're gonna miss ya)

—————————

He's gone

He's dead

I'm never going to see him again

He's never going to meet his future niece or nephew

He was so excited for it too

He had so many things to teach my future child

So many things he was going to show them

He was going to be the best uncle in the world

So why him?

Does the world hate good people?

I guess it does

   We ran across the pavement ground of the Capitol city, out of the sewer system and into the open streets. Finnick still had my hand in his as we followed Cressida through the alleyways. I wasn't sure what to think. I wasn't thinking at all. Nothing was processing through my head and I didn't want it to.

When I lifted my head from looking at my pounding feet, I swear I saw him, Kai, leading the group. But it wasn't him. It was never going to be him again.

I don't even get to bury him

We kept going. I wanted to keep running because the more I ran the less I thought about it, but the image was burned onto my eyes. Him smiling up to me with the blood smeared across his face. His look of relief when the Holo fell closer to his bleeding broken body.

   We ran past screens that projected our wanted posters, Finnick's face currently flashing and then Kai's face after that. I skidded to a stop, pulling Finnick with me as I stared at the giant screen. My chest tightened to the point where it was hard to breathe.

   Kai looked as if nothing had ever happened to him. His face was cleanly shaven, his hair a neat kind of messy, and his reassuring amber eyes looked straight through me. Tears fell from my eyes as Finnick tugged at my arm, trying to turn me away.

   "Reef we have to go!" He whispered to me but I didn't move, all I wanted to do was break down and die. But then the picture on the screen changed and my brothers face was shifted to my own.

The last Barlowe by blood

   Finnick wrapped an arm around my waist and lifted me over his shoulder, running back to the group.

The cool morning air bit at my skin as Cressida brought us to a tall building deep within the city. At this point, we were far enough to Snow's mansion to not worry about pods. That didn't mean we were safe. No one's ever safe. Ever.

The building that the woman had lead us to was lit up with soft yellow lights, the windows boarded up with beautiful gowns on mannequins. We all stood, watching our backs now that we were in the open once again. Finnick still had me wrapped in his arms, holding me close.

All I wanted to do was put all my weight against him and cry. I glanced up to Kit who looked almost as bad as me, his hand clutched to a necklace that wrapped around his neck. The golden light reflected in his eyes showed the tears that threatened to spill from them. He was trying to hold himself together.

Keyword, trying.

   "Someone's coming." Peeta said quietly and we all turned to look at a dark figure walking towards the door.