Chapter Thirty - Broken Home

(Decided to post a chapter early this week!)

Kai

I wish I had the time to tell Finnick that I was leaving but I also didn't know how much it mattered. Finnick was still probably sitting on that hospital bed, tying knots on that rope and mourning Reef's unproven death. What was the point if he wasn't going to do anything about it?

I was worried about him. I would have wanted to bring him, maybe he needed the fresh air just as much as Katniss did. But when I brought it up with Boggs he said no. He said that it was only supposed to be a small team, no need to make ourselves too obvious. But I doubted anyone was actually still keeping and eye on 12, not after what happened there.

Me and Boggs escorted Katniss to a ship as it rose up to the floor we walked on. It wasn't a big ship, something small and subtle, but it would get the job done.

The first person waiting for us there when the aircraft's platform rose was Gale Hawthorn. He stood tall but relaxed when Katniss jogged over to him, engulfing the boy in an embrace. He had rich light brown hair and his blue eyes could burn through anyones soul. But he didn't like me. I never gave him a reason not to but it didn't bother me, I didn't need his approval.

"I can't believe your going through with this." Gale told her as she pulled away and the two looked deeply at each other. Clearly he liked her more then Katniss liked him. "You can say no."

"I need to see it for myself." Katniss insisted.

"This way." Boggs said, gesturing for the two to get on the ship which was powered up and ready to take flight. I was about to board with them when I looked back to where I had come from, someone specifically on my mind.

"Hey." Boggs said, grabbing my attention. "Finnick is an adult, you don't have to babysit him all the time."

"Yeah, I know." I said, looking down to my feet before looking back up to meet my superiors eyes. "I just worry about him."

"You worry about everyone Kai, it's who you are." Boggs said and I felt myself smile. Most of the time Boggs called me Barlowe or Lieutenant, but sometimes he'd use my first name. It's when I knew he was trying to be personal and a friend.

"Alright, we'll be back as soon as possible sir." I said and Boggs nodded.

"Good luck soldier." He said and I nodded back, turning around and heading up the ramp as it began to shut.

   My footsteps echoed against the metal floors and I adjusted the jacket over my shoulders. Gale gave me a look as if I had made a mistake giving Katniss this idea. I didn't regret it.

I stood by a window, looking out to the outside world that I had missed over the past week or two. The green trees were bright and every now and then there was some kind of debris left over from the war. There wasn't a cloud in sight, the blue sky soft and soothing with the sun burning bright.

I looked down to the picture in my hands, going over it with my thumb. I had held it close to me since the day I was brought to 13, being one of the only things I could bring. I was limited to a small bag so I took the picture and my collection of sea glass. If I had to leave everything else behind, the least I could do was bring that for myself.

Then, I felt someone leaning over my shoulder so I turned to see Katniss. She had left Gale on his own to come over to me and I could see her looking at the picture in my hand. The shadow, however, made it difficult for her to see who it was. I looked at the picture again before I turned back to Katniss and handed it to her so she could see it.