Chapter Thirty-Three - The Real Mockingjay

Kai

   I stood right outside the control room of the recording studio or whatever you'd call it. It was full of different cameras, fans, panels, screens, you name it they had it. Katniss stood in the middle of a small podium, dressed head to toe in black armour and a big black bow strapped to her back. She looked more threatening then she probably felt. I could already tell that this wasn't going to go well.

   I took some steps forward so that I was just in front of the podium, looking up at Katniss while she looked down on me. I could see it in her face that she wasn't motivated whatsoever which was a problem. You can't light up a revolution without the spark, and Katniss was that spark.

   "How do I look?" She asked, trying to manage a smile but it was weak which made me laugh a little.

   "You can tell me the truth Katniss, how does all of this really feel?" I asked her and she sighed, maybe of relief that she could have someone she could tell the truth to.

   "This all feels synthetic." She told me. "It doesn't feel real to me."

   "Yeah, I get what your saying." I responded, taking a step up and fixing some of her armour that looked crooked. "If it makes you feel better, you look pretty badass."

   "I don't think I'm the Mockingjay they were envisioning." She said with a low voice but I shook my head.

   "No, you are." I told her. "But the Mockingjay they saw before, that was with Peeta. He was your crutch, but you don't have him anymore."

   "Yeah, but I have you." She said and I laughed, flattered.

   "Look, you don't need me and you don't need Peeta." I told her, turning as Effie Trinket came marching through the room like she owned it. You gotta applaud her confidence. "Guess that's my que." I said, giving the girl a wink.

   "Hey Kai." She said and I turned to face her. "Thanks for being here for me." She said and I nodded with a smile.

   "Of course, I'll be right back here if you need me." I told her before disappearing into the shadows of the room.

   After a minute of Effie preparing Katniss, the speaker crackled to life and Plutarch's voice came speaking through.

   "Perfect." He said. "Absolutely perfect." Then the radio clicked off for a second so he could talk to the crew working the computers.

   I watched as Katniss turned around in a circle, expexting something big and exciting. Instead all she got was a blank wall in a dank room.

Oh how exciting.

Revolutionary really.

The girl then looked to me as if I would have an answer to what was happening. I just shrugged to her and she shrugged back.

   "Okay, Katniss, we're going to start you down on one knee." Plutarch told her.

   "Okay." She said as he went on.

   "And as you rise up your gonna hold your flag in the air and deliver your line." Katniss held up the pole in the air as an example but there was nothing there. Even the flag was fake.

   "And remember, you just stormed the outskirts of the Capitol arm-in-arm with your brothers and sisters." Except she didn't do any of that, but still, Katniss agreed even though she didn't look too sure of it.

   "Whenever your ready." Plutarch said and Katniss stayed kneeling for a few seconds before getting up aggressively, throwing her pole into the air.