Chapter Twelve - Undercover

"Where the hell have you been?" Tobias asked me harshly as all the other Careers made their way over to us. I stood there awkwardly, not glancing over to the tree like I wanted to. Cage was probably watching all of this and facepalming as I rocked back and forth on my heels with Tobias glaring at me.

"Trying to survive, and as you can see, I have." I finally said as the other four tributes joined us.

"Where's the boy?" Tobias asked and I acted surprised, as if I had no idea who Tobias was talking about.

"Is this the bitch? What's her name, uh, Coral?" Lucia asked and I flashed her a fake ass smile as I looked the bitch up and down.

"Acorn right?"

"Excuse me?" Lucia asked as she took a step forward.

"Your name, is it not Acorn?" I asked with a smile and then pretended to look sorry. "Oh, it isn't? Sorry, I was under the impression that because your head is shaped like an acorn that it'd be your name."

"You little..." She said, looking real mad now and Arlen had to hold her back from attacking me.

"Where is the boy? Is he dead?" Tobias asked and I put a hand on my heart, giving him a look of hurt.

"Oh, so there's no 'hey Reef how are you?' You are quite the charmer Tobias." I said and then sighed when he didn't give up. "Yeah, he's alive, and I've been tracking him for days but the little asshole is slick."

"So you came to us." Cadogan said and I nodded my head, looking at Tobias with a serious face.

"We can go after him in the morning." I told them as if we were all best of friends, as if I hadn't just arrived here to join their group.

"You don't call the shots here." Arlen told me but I gave him a look that made the boy step back.

"So you want to go out in the freezing night to look for a boy who can hide pretty much anywhere and pick us off one my one?" When Arlen was silent I smiled. "Yeah, I didn't think so." I said and then turned my back to them, walking over to the Cornucopia.

When I walked inside I admired all the supplies they had, wishing that I had some of it when I needed it. There was medicine and weapons and food and water, all things I'm sure everyone wanted before they were ruthlessly murdered by the people who were glaring at me now. I tried looking for a bow but I didn't find one and when I looked back to the other Careers, I saw it in the hands of Xena. There was only one bow and she had it. Well, she wasn't going to have it much longer. That sounded very evil.

I made my way over to the fishing equipment that I remembered from the day I had risen into the arena. There wasn't much there but I knew they'd have the giant shark hook and strong rope that I used for the skill scoring, it was the least they could do after giving me a four.

A fu*king four.

I still wasn't over that bullshit.

I took the rope and tied it to the hook, swinging it like a lasso a couple of times to test the knot. Once I had done that, I tied the rope around my waist like a belt with the hook sitting on the side of my thigh.

"How did you do it?" I turned to look at Tobias standing with his arms crossed and looking me up and down as if I were a ghost.

"You didn't think I was alive?" I asked and he shook his head.

"No I knew you were alive." He said as he took a step towards me. "But how did you survive that storm?"

"Because I'm smart." I said back. "I'm not as dumb as you think." I walked past the boy, about to leave it at that but he seemed to have other plans.