Chapter Thiry-Three - Her Conditions

Finnick

It was pandemonium.

People were shouting at the screen as Peeta kept going when Caesar asked him more questions. All I could think about was how they were trying to cover up his pain, but if you were paying close attention, you could see it. The makeup on his face was reflecting slightly against light of the room and he continued to shift in his seat, trying to look more comfortable when it was clear he wasn't.

The people of 13 kept calling him a traitor, but I knew better then they did. He was doing what he had to do to survive, not like any of them would understand what that's like. Even so, I couldn't stop thinking about Her, about what's happened to her. They were making it look as though Peeta won the Games, like all the others died, but was that true?

I wasn't sure what to believe, all I knew for sure was that she wasn't there, and if they hurt Peeta then they hurt her. If she was alive.

   I looked over to Kai as he stared at the screen with a blank expression, the boy by his side trying to get his attention. Then Kai walked away, saying nothing as he left the room, maybe to get away from the loud crowds shouting at the screen. I walked over to the boy who was left behind but he kept looking forward to where Kai had walked off to.

   "What's your name?" I asked him and the boy finally looked over to me.

   "Kit." He told me and I nodded.

   "I'll find him Kit." I told the boy, Kit, and I'm not sure why, I just felt like I had to.

   I jogged down the hallway, the cafeteria muffled by distance which made me sigh with relief. The chaos in there was unbelievable. I get it, you didn't like what he said, but you don't know what's happening on the other side. I think the only reason I thought this was because I hoped Reef was alive on that other side.

   It didn't take long for me to find Kai, he hadn't gone very far; I had found him leaning against a wall, looking out to the giant chasm. There were so many levels of rooms reaching all the way to the surface of the bunker. This was probably the only place you could find sunlight in the entire bunker.

   "Kai?" I said but the boy still didn't look at me. "Come on man, just look at me."

He didn't though. He continued to stare out into the open chasm that still went down miles. He took calm breaths though, not seeming to have any emotions at all. But that was quite the opposite, I knew it was because this was how Kai was. Thinking he has to stay strong, he finds himself silently drowning in his own emotion so that no one worried about him. He thought that I didn't notice the fact that he doesn't sleep even though you could see it in his eyes.

   Suddenly, taking me by surprise, Kai let out a huge scream that he'd probably been holding in for a long time. He then turned to a cement pillar and punched it hard with his clenched fist. I jumped back from the shock, not expecting that from him, but he didn't seem phased.

   "I'm gonna kill him." Kai said so silently that I wasn't sure if I heard him or not. "I'm gonna kill Snow."

   After that, he just walked away again but this time I felt it better that I not follow. He didn't want me to see how worried he was about Her, I think he thought it would send be in a down spiral when really I think it was hurting him more.

   When he was finally out of sight, I turned my head to look at that pillar he had taken a swing at. He chipped the cement. There was a big chunk of it that rested on the floor, it's dust smeared across the pavement.

   I took a deep breath, resting my arms against the balcony fence, my hands hanging over the edge. I wasn't sure what was happening with my Sunshine, I had no idea what was going on with Kai, and I had no idea what Peeta's interview meant for him. I knew one thing though, and it was that I hated being in the dark.