Chapter Eighteen - Reaping Day... Again

I stood tall on the left side of the huge stage built up in the market square. In front of me, the giant crowds of everyone from the District watched me and the other former tributes. I wanted to be next to Finnick, to feel the safety of his hand in mine, but we were separated boys from girls. I took a deep breath, feeling like the whole world was in slow motion.

My whole body trembled and I could feel the sweat build up over my body. I wore a simple pastel yellow sundress and barefoot as usual. The sun was bright this fateful morning, not a cloud in sight nor was there a relaxing sea breeze. What I would have given to feel the salty air cool me off.

I turned as I heard the clacking shoes of my former Capitol escort Casimir Elrod making his way to the microphone. He glanced over at the few tributes he had and he actually looked sad that he had to do this. I didn't think this guy ever cared about us, we were only good for making him look good. He tapped the mic to make sure it was on before he began speaking.

"Hello District Four and welcome to the Reaping of the third Quarter Quell." He paused, a soft smile written across his face. "Rather then spend too much time talking, let's get right to the choosing. Starting with the girls."

Oh how I wished he wouldn't. I stood tall, feeling stiffer then ever as I looked out to the silent crowd. I found Kai at the front and a little farther back was Mrs Caddel and her family. They wanted me dead, not her but the rest of her family. My brother locked eyes with mine as Casimir slowly made his way over to the bowl of names. There were only so many in there, and one of them was mine.

I looked over to Finnick who was already looking at me, but surprisingly, the boy looked calm. Somehow, I couldn't even imagine how, Finnick was always able to compose himself on stage. He wasn't even shaking while I on the other hand looked like there was an earthquake that only I could feel.

Casimir dipped his hand into the bowl, mixing it around slowly, or maybe I was just seeing things. Eventually though, the paper was lifted and Casimir gave the former female tributes one more look, knowing that one of us was going back. He returned his eyes to the crowd and read out the name on the paper.

"And the female tribute is..." He paused. "Reef Barlowe."

"NO!" I heard Kai shout as he fought against some of the peacekeepers. "YOU CANT DO THIS!" For a second, over everything else, I was worried that Kai was going to be killed. These were dark days.

Then I let that set in. Of course it was me, I was the youngest female tribute, I was going to be the one to put on a good show. I felt my entire body go numb and my stomach dropped. I was scared. Terrified. There was no doubt about it this time. I was going to die.

"And for the boys..."

"I volunteer as tribute." Out of nowhere, Finnick stepped up with his hand raised, never taking his eyes off of mine. I felt my heart drop as he walked his way towards the front of the stage with me and Casimir.

"But I didn't even pull out a..."

"I volunteer. It doesn't matter anymore." Finnick said as Casimir looked deeply at the boy, surprised.

"Finnick, don't do this please." I was surprised that I would be able to speak, but I did. I knew it wouldn't matter what I said, what was done was done, but I wanted him to be able to take back volunteering. I couldn't let him go in.

"I give you your male and female tributes for the 3rd Quarter Quell." Casimir announced. "Reef Barlowe and Finnick Odair."

I didn't get to say goodbye to Kai, they just pulled me off into the building and on to the train. I screamed at the peacekeepers so much I lost my voice. I could hear Kai fight as well, shouting and pleading to come see me before I was sent off. All of this was reminding me of the first time I was sent to the Capitol. When I didn't get to tell him I loved him. But at least then I got to say goodbye.