Chapter 1- Branded

Filla : It's hard isn't it? That damned tent shouldn't even exist.

Rusal : My little sister is in there. Always out of breath, and no time to catch it.

Filla : You want to find a cure, don't you?

Rusal : Yeah. Damn those Gahlnese bastards! If it weren't for them, this plague wouldn't be a problem. Do they feel nothing?

Filla : I wouldn't put it past a Gahlnese. At least you get to fight them though, right? You're joining the Recon Legion today?

Rusal : That's right, and I can finally see those monster's face to face... send them to hell where they belong.

A woman walks past the two, holding a metal bound book. A rapier snug to the right of her hip. Her name is Myne, a scholar researching mana. Rusal blushes at the sight and scent of her pass by and Filla slaps him across the head.

Filla : Stay focused!

Myne chuckles as she keeps walking.

Rusal : This is so damn embarrassing. You couldn't be more discreet?

Filla : Hm? Oh sorry, discreet isn't an option for you. And what about her good anyways? Her skin is dark... but at least it's lighter than most Gahlnese.

Rusal : Are you saying Myne is Gahlnese? She's been here since we were kids. Everyone else seems to recall her being born here as well.

Filla : Maybe her parents were refugees... yeah you're right. It's rude to assume that of her.

They look in her direction, and she hands a guard a paper.

Myne : Orders. You're to guard the site until the experiment is over.

Guard : Yes, ma'am.

Myne : Captain, soldier.

Guard : My sincere apologies, Captain Myne.

She walks into the college, and enters her office. Myne looks at an emblem next to her parents photo. It resembles a cross with a circular center and fleurs at the ends. She puts it away, and gathers a box of glass tubes.

Myne : Where is it? I had them somewhere...

Ensid : Myne.

Myne : Oh, Doctor Ensid. How can I help you?

Ensid : You left mana crystals in your office, correct?

Myne : For the experiment, yes.

Ensid : A... student stole one of your crystals. They're in a mana coma.

Myne : I assure you I had them hidden and locked away properly.

Ensid : Relax. The college does not hold you accountable. We remind the students everyday the danger of using mana crystals unsupervised. They are adults, not children.

Myne : Do you know where the rest are?

Ensid : Yes, we have them under supervised storage. Follow me.

They walk through the halls. Myne notices the medical ward. A patient with the Ember Plague, but they are sleeping.

Myne : Have you found a way to suppress the symptoms of the Plague?

Ensid : Temporarily. Everyday we have to administer anesthetics mixed with mana crystal powder. The process is unpleasant, and it still requires much work.

Myne : Mana crystals... I suppose you've done some testing for me already.

Ensid : We work towards similar goals, Myne.