Chapter 2 - Lightning

Myne stands and leaves the tent, while Favalis shows her the testing grounds.

Favalis : We have three targets set up for you, starting at twenty meters and ending at sixty. Do you require anything else?

Myne : Could I have my rapier? Just to test if it really is the same as their sorcery.

Favalis hands Myne her rapier, and she checks the blade.

Myne : This will do. Thank you.

Favalis stands far back, and Myne unsheathes her rapier. She stands twenty meters away from the first target, a thrusts her rapier. For a second nothing happens, and then a bright flash, followed by the exploding sound of thunder. From where she stood, a single bolt raced across the grass field and pierced all three targets. The guards move in the put out the flames, and Myne checks her rapier. The blade is only tarnished, and unscathed from the lightning flowing through it.

Favalis : Myne! It was a success!

Myne : Yeah. Hopefully we can get a treatment ready for the elderly and children.

She holds her pendant in her pocket tightly, letting it go as she walks over to Favalis.

Favalis : Myne! Your experiment was a massive success! Do you know what that power means?

Myne : We can work for a treatment towards helping those with the Ember Plague. Soon it wouldn't be a problem for anyone.

Favalis : No, no Myne. We can fight against Gahlne! We can win a war with that power!

Myne : Favalis? You agreed to help me find a method to use the stones properly, not create weapons.

Favalis : Myne, you don't fully understand. For hundreds of years conflict has constantly sparked between Kyran and Gahlne, we can end this!

Myne : I'm going to report back. Regardless, the people need to know of our findings.

Favalis : You're stubborn, aren't you? If you say that you have access to sorcery after successfully taking in one of the stones, they'll still call for more to be used on soldiers. Weapons are an inevitable product in research.

Myne : I will not be a weapon for Kyran.

Favalis : So is it treason? You're going to flee to Gahlne, aren't you? That's your plan.

Myne : It will be if I'm forced to turn innocent people into tools of war. You don't know the process, and I can easily flee with this information.

Myne places her belongings on a horse, and rides back to the city. She packs her belongings from the college in the back of a carriage, and sets the cases holding the dissolved mana crystals underneath. She holds her pendant, and contemplates. Looking at the massive tent and hearing the screams of children, her heart sways. She comes back to her senses when Rusal and Filla call out to her.

Rusal : Miss Myne, where are you going?

Myne : Hm, oh... To Aseria. I'm going to study there for a while.

Filla : Oh, Rusal isn't going to last that long without you Myne.

Rusal : Shut it!

Myne : Oh, that's sweet. Keep each other safe, okay?

Rusal : We will. Stay safe on your journey!

Myne attaches the carriage to her horse, and jumps into the driver's seat. She takes a hold of the reigns and rides out of the city.

Myne : I'm sorry, everyone. I have a mission.

She clenches the pendant in her hand, and once she's sure she is past the horizon, she turns to the north and heads to Gahlne. As she approaches the crimson gates, she holds up her pendant.