Chapter 3 - Burning Zenith

Myros : Myne. You will lead our assault on Kyran. You will convey the willpower and ideals Gahlne holds.

Myne : Father, this task is best suited for Myran. He knows much more about war-

Myros : He is simply a prince, who has experience leading men and fighting beside them. What I mean is that your role is far greater. Our tactician. Myne, Archon of Lightning, future Queen of Gahlne, leads us to our final fight against Kyran. I understand you know some people from the otherside during your espionage, and I understand what that does to one's psyche, but please. Our resolve and willpower is far greater than past relationships.

Myne : For the greater good of Girah.

Myros : Yes, for the greater good of Girah. You will end this centuries old conflict, and begin your legacy as Gahlne's great Queen who unified the continent.

A guard bursts into the solar. He holds papers with Kyran seals.

Guard : My Lord! I have been directed to give you this directly... a declaration from Kyran!

Myros : Let me see.

The guard removes the wax and unrolls the letter.

Myros : Fluid? They want fluid?

Myne : ...My research. Father, they are after my research!

Myros : Your ruse is clearly done for. We shall use this to our advantage. Sneak men up to the ballistae, hide our pikemen within the walls. I shall write a response.

Myne : Father... if they want the fluid, they'll use it to make someone like me, and Archon.

Myros : That is why we will lace them. Trust the enemy in giving you proper medicine? A rabbit does not wander near the wolf, lest the wolf bites.

Myne : You're... going to poison them?

Myros : Myne. Of course.

Myne : That's unethical! Inflicting sickness to kill the enemy?! Do you have no -

Myros : Empathy? I do, but when it comes to the safety and security of my land, people, and loved ones, I will burn all who stand in my way by any means necessary. I will not waste the strength of our men for a surprise assault. No, we weaken them then execute.

Myne : This isn't right Father!

Myros : It never had anything to do with what was right! Only what ensured the lives of our people.

Myros hastily writes down a letter addressing Kyran, stamped and sealed with wax. He writes down orders to the Captains of the walls ordering the assault. The guard runs back to deliver the message.

Myros : Myne, do you know how I felt when I watched your mother give birth to you? I swore to every ounce of blood in my body that I would fight until it was all upon the floor to protect you. Not a single drop will race through my veins. Would you please fight for your country, and your fellow man?

Myne : Father...

Myros : I have something to gift you. Follow me.

They head downstairs, and into the treasury. Myros takes his pendant and pushes it into a recess in the door, and it makes a heavy thud. He pulls the door open, revealing the thirty centimeter bolts that lock the door. He enters the room, and Myne follows shortly behind. Myros pulls on a veil, revealing a steel hammer. The head is broad, and the spike is reminiscent of a nail. Savage, yet elegantly crafted.

Myros : Take her in your hands. Feel her heft.

Myne takes the hammer out of the rack of the wall, and it sits well in her hands.