childhood

I stir the coffee and handed it to lolo, "25 percent sugar and 10 percent cream just like what you wanted lo,"
He curved his lips as I as well encountered his eyes sparkled looking at me. He looks happy. He looks contented. "Di ko alam gagawin ko kung wala ka apo."
I massage his back and gave him a hug. "Si lolo talaga mahilig mang uto."
"Eh totoo naman eh," he expressed a laugh. "Oh tignan mo, even just on my coffee ikaw lang yung nakaka alam."
"Eh siyempre ako pinaka favorite mo eh." I claimed and he just widen his smile.
We were laughing as we chatter with some random things but suddenly someone entered the door.
"Eh gago ka rin." It's my mom shouting; probably to my dad. I came closer to sneak on the living room so I can see what's going on.
She took all of my dad things and threw it to him. "Lumayas ka dito!"
"Ma.." I voice out. "Ano po yung nangyari?" I came closer as she bang the door close.
She face back and sternly look to me and immediately walk away. Mom never ever claimed to public that I'm her daughter. Never in her life that she introduced me to her friends or to anyone.
"Pa. We have to talk." She reach out to lolo and headed to the kitchen.
Lolo tapped my shoulder, I realised that he's just only at my back listening. He gave me reassuring smile before he went straight off to mom on the kitchen.

"Lo.." I know there's something wrong when I entered back inside the house. I saw baggages and boxes were in all of my things was there inside.
I searched for lolo but he was nowhere to be found. "I'll let Kuya buding and yaya marie go with you." Mom spilled.
My mouth hanged open. "What do you mean ma?"
I continued searching while my eyes are teary, "where's lolo?"
"Lolo!" I shouted and tried so hard to search every room. I was shaking and panicking. Lolo won't do this to me. Mom might abandon me but I know lolo won't.
Mom pulled me hard so that I will not be able to fight back. "Enough!" Her voice rises.
"Ma!" I begged, as my sobs turns more louder. "Please, kahit si lolo na lang."
She just look at me. No emotions. No expressions. It felt like I didn't just got out from her tummy. It felt I'm just somehow a stranger to her.
"Mang Buding!" She called. "Dalhin mona siya sa kotse."
"Ma!" I fought back from the grip of Mang Buding as he pulled me inside the car.
I saw lolo on the window watching. "Lo please! You promised me!"

I remembered each and every details of it even up until now. I was seven years old that time.
"Happy birthday, Maxine!" Mang Buding and Yaya Marie sung.
I smiled looking at them before I blow the candle. I'm already 12.
They brought me into their house here in Iloilo. It's a province and I find it unusual living here at first but then I get to used to it as time passes. They stood up as my parents, even before. But moreover, Yaya marie has no possibility of getting a child which is why she became very close to me. Yaya Marie and Mang Buding are married for years before they started to work on us. T'was a good thing that I'm with the married couple who does nothing but to show love on me.
"Marie! Si Irene Marcos nasa barangay ngayon. Halika puntahan natin." Her neighbour—Aling Cecille rushed.
Yaya Marie is a very much fan of the Marcoses; she's considered to be loyalist.
"Oh sige, punta na tayo dun jusko!" Yaya Marie expresses her excitement.
"Who are they po ba?" I asked them.
"Siya yung bunsong anak ng presidente noon max—yung kinukuwento ko parati sayo na pinaka magaling na presidente ng pilipinas." Mang Buding answered. Oh yes! I remembered him telling the story of how late president Ferdinand Marcos Sr. led the Philippines before.
"Idol na idol kase namin yung pamilya nila, Max." Yaya marie hyped in excitement while panicking on getting her things.
Mang Buding helped me to go down first before he packed his things too. "Can I come ba?" I questioned, looking to them.
They both pause and look to each other first. "Oh sige sige." Yaya marie replied as she brush my hair and pulled me to come with her.

As we reach on the barangay, Yaya Marie already squeeze herself into a crowded place while Mang Buding stopped on the side wherein least of people were standing. "Dito ka lang ha? Babalikan kita dito." He instructed. I just nod.
I look at them from a far and decided to sit down on the stage where he left me. My urine attacks me out of nowhere so I excused myself on a comfort room.
As I was sitting down on the cubicle, I hum and sung sunday morning. I went out immediately after I finished urinating only to see someone peeking on my door. An middle age lady listening to me while I was humming. I almost hit her as I was opening it.
She has this black short hair, she looks decent, clean and mostly beautiful.
"Oh my gosh, I'm sorry." I said. She immediately move backwards when she saw me getting out.
"I'm sorry..." she felt embarrassed. "Uh- hi.." she has this sweet smile.
She half kneel in front of me to see my focus view. "I'm Irene.
Oh and um- You have a very beautiful voice."
I blushed. "Thank you po."
"I'm Maxine po by the way." I extended my hand for a shake. She look at it and eventually smiled while accepting it. "Nice to meet you, Maxine." I sneered.
"Maxine!" I heard yaya's voice outside.
I face her, "I'm sorry, my yaya is looking for me na."
"Oh sige sige." She replied.
"Goodbye po." I waved my hands and attempted to turn away but then she grabbed my wrist so I face back again.
"Bakit po?" I asked, not scared but just curios.
She fixed my hair and pauses, "I hope I'll see you again soon." I just smiled.
I remove my scratchy on my hair and handled it to her, she was confused and half happy while accepting it. "So you can have a reason to see me po."
I move backwards looking at her with a wide smile. I can see how she looks happy before I turn my back and went outside.

I fetch yaya as she keeps on walking around looking for me. "Ya!" I called out.
She faced me. "Ikaw na bata ka! Saan ka ba pumupunta?"
"Nag c.r po, nawiwi po kase ako." I replied.
"Oh siya siya, halika na uuwi na tayo." she said, pulling my hands.
I face back one more time to see if the women is still there, but no she wasn't na. I got a curious feeling about her. It's just that it felt like a connection that I don't wanna be parted with her. I don't know, its just so weird.