CHAPTER FOURTEEN

The fall

The fall

Today was the day Margaret had to be punished for the mistakes she made. 'My wrong doing is providing justice to the weak, standing besides the oppressed and retrieving humanity within us. We are dead from the inside and out, but assuming to have a pure soul is dragging me to my doom. If I'm to die today then I'll take the whole kingdom with me.' She thought to herself as she stood on her room's balcony, she looked up at the blue sky as if she's never seen it before, as the wind slightly waving a few strands of hair on her pale skin, she took a deep breath and looked down at the place she stood realizing just how magnificent the world could be without their kingdom. She walked back inside her room to give Alex a big hug while Mercy carefully held Vanessa in her arms.
"What's wrong mother?" Alex asked with his head leaning on his mother's shoulder, his words made Margaret tear up but quickly wiped her tears before Alex could see her, she held her son by his shoulder then replied. "Nothing my little prince, but from now on I'd like for you to understand that you're a grown boy and you have to be brave." Alex nodded before she continued. "Protect your sister at all cost, don't trust anyone except your father and Mercy when I'm gone."
"But mother where are you going?" He asked with a worried expression, but Margaret didn't answer him, instead she went towards Mercy and took her daughter in her arms while Mercy fought back her tears like her life depended on it.
"My little princess, mommy loves you so much." She whispered before kissing her forehead, Just a few seconds passed Howard barged in her room with a genuine expression.

"Excuse us Mercy." He said while holding his hands behind his back, Mercy took Vanessa back on her arms but held her on the left arm to make it easy to hold Alex's hand, when they were left alone Howard looked behind and made sure they were alone then suddenly held his wife by her waist and carefully slipped his hand on her neck and slowly moving it to her jaw and finally interlocking his fingers with her smooth hair, he kissed her with all his heart and immediately got the same response from his wife, when they pulled away Howard gently placed his right hand on her cheek and slowly rubbing it with his index finger, she held his right hand in both her hands and kissed it. "Let's get out of here." He blurted, his words made Margaret look up at him in confusion before he continued. "Let's run away, it's not too late we'll be gone before sunset, let's raise our kids like a normal family-" but before he could finish his wife cut him off. "But we are not normal people Howard, we are vampires nothing is normal for us." She said while letting go his hand. "Normal or not let's just take the risk and live amongst the humans, for the sake of our love and kids." He desperately said while taking her hand on his again.

"You were born to be leader my love and you'll not end the hard work you've made for the throne just for me, you'll have to go on." She said while holding his jaw on both sides with her eyes concentrated on his. "I don't care about the throne anymore, without you all the hard work is just useless." He said with furrowed eyebrows, Margaret's hands slowly slipped down from his jaw and rested on her large red and white dress. 'Your father will come looking for us and he won't stop until he makes sure I'm dead Howard, and I can't afford to risk my children's lives.' She thought to herself not allowing him to hear.
"I'd rather rot in hell than run from your father all my life." She said her gaze concentrated on his and her expression as serious as possible, this made Howard's eyes turn red as he tried to fight back his tears.