Chapter 17.5 - Coming Out

Heyo, it's your friendly neighbourhood enby. I'm feeling kinda lonely rn so I made this short chapter. It doesn't affect the plot at all, but it was fun to write nonetheless.

btw y/o mean "your orientation"

also, TW for gender dysphoria and mention of improper binding

if you're transphobic or homophobic, just mooooooveeeee alongggggg

------------Y/n's POV---------------

"Where's Lloyd?" Cole asks as he and Zane spar on top of Destiny's Bounty. "He's supposed to be training with us."

"He was still in the bathroom last time I checked," Kai says. He and I are in the middle of practicing hand-to-hand combat.

Kai landed a punch to my chest, and that's when I realized the reason why Lloyd must still be below deck.

"I'm gonna go check on him," I say, and head for the stairs. I run down the hall and knock on the bathroom door.

"Nothing!" Lloyd yells.

"I didn't ask you anything yet," I say.

"Oh, it's you."

He opens the door and lets me in, where his arms are pressed against his chest. His bandages are on the floor, leaving his torso exposed. The skin on the sides of his ribcage looked really irritated.

"Oh my gods," I whisper as he lets me examine the scratches. "Is this from the bandages?"

"No, I got in a fight with a turtle," he says sarcastically.

"That's oddly specific," I mutter as I open up a drawer under the sink and pull out a first aid kit. I pour some rubbing alcohol onto a tissue, and start blotting the tiny gashes. Lloyd closes his eyes and turns his head.

"Sorry, I know it stings," I say.

"It's fine."

"I think you need to get a binder. A real one. What you're doing right now isn't safe."

"I know, but it's not like I can go get one. I can't leave the bounty without the others noticing I'm gone."

"We can order one online, can't we? Oh, wait--"

"Online?"

"You don't have that here yet, do you?" I whisper under my breath. "Uh... why don't we run out to a store and see if we can find one? We'll tell the team we're out of orange juice."

"Will they buy that?"

"Pssh, if I told these dudes I was part dragon, they'd believe me."

------an hour later------

"I think this one's a little too small," Lloyd says from inside the changing stall.

"Dang," I say, then turn to the salesperson who's helping us out. "Do you have a size between this one and the one he just tried on?"

"Not at the moment... we'll be restocking on Thursday."

Lloyd emerges from the stall, holding the binder. He's wearing his hoodie overtop a sports bra I lent him.

"Do you want to have it delivered to you once it comes in?" the salesperson asks.

"Sure," Lloyd nods. "Although, our place is kind of... hard to reach."

"No problem. What's the address?"

I scrunch up my nose. "Do boats even have addresses?"

------a few days later-------

"Hey, we've got mail," Kai calls as he walks below deck. He's holding a brown paper package. "The mailman just yeeted this up on deck."

"Who is it addressed to?" Zane asks. He's sitting on the couch as I tighten one of his elbow joints.

"It doesn't say. It just has the words Destiny's Bounty on the front."

Kai then proceeds to open the bundle. The whole team looks up from what they're doing in the living room to see what's inside. With a confused expression, Kai pulls out what looks like a very small tank top.

Oh, sh*t. It's Lloyd's chest binder.

"What is this thing?" Kai asks as he unfolds it.

Zane scans the garment. "It appears to be a chest binder."

"Oh, yeah--I've seen those before," Jay says. "But why is it here?"

"It's for me!" I say quickly. "It's... for a cosplay. Wait, do you guys even have cosplay here--"

"It's mine," I hear Lloyd say quietly from beside me.

He stays on the couch for a second, shaking his leg as he works up the courage to go and take his binder from Kai. I give his a hand a squeeze as he stands up.

"I'm... trans," he whispers. His palms are sweaty.

"Ah, okay. Cool," Kai says, handing Lloyd the binder and giving him a playful tap on the shoulder. "Glad you felt you could tell us."

"You're not mad?"

"Why would I be? You're my brother."

"Yeah!" Jay chimes in. "And if it makes you feel any better, I'm bi."

"Ha, same!" Nya cheers, holding up her hand for a high-five.

I bite my tongue to hold back my laughter.

"According to my research, I am panromantic asexual," Zane says. "And technically speaking, I am non-binary, but I'm the most fond of he/him pronouns."

Cole clears his throat. "Well, since we're all coming out... I'm gay. And probably ace."

"Gawd, practically everyone in this room is queer," I say. "I'm y/o, by the way."

Everyone turns to Kai, the only one who hasn't spoken yet.

"I'm straight, sorry to disappoint."

Cole laughs. "Don't worry; we love you just the way you are."

"F*ck, why are you crying??" Nya asks Lloyd, who's currently wiping away his tears.

"S-sorry," he says with a sniffle. "I... I just..."

Kai pulls him into a hug. The rest of us join them in the middle of the room.

"I didn't think you'd all be so understanding," Lloyd explains, stuttering a bit. "I was too scared to say anything."

"You've got nothing to worry about, bud," Kai says. "We've got your back no matter what."