Chapter 13.5 - Inevitable Changes

Hey so this is an entirely optional chapter that may or may not apply to your version of y/n. Someone requested that I write this, but if you don't want y/n to experience a period, then feel free to skip! (nothing exciting happens in this "chapter" I promise)

I wake up in the middle of the night, a strong pain in my abdomen. I groan and sit up, but that just makes it worse. 

Quietly, so that I don't wake Nya, I get off the bed, and head to the bathroom sleepily. My brain is still half asleep, so by the time I make it to the bathroom, I don't even remember why I got up in the first place.

I splash some water on my face, then I rummage through a drawer to find a tube of the cream we use when our muscles are sore after training. I'm assuming the pain is from overworking myself or something, so I rub some of the stuff where I'm hurting. I put the cap on the tube on I'm done, and as I put it away, I feel something dripping down my legs.

Am I seriously so tired that I just peed myself? I think.

I look down at my legs to see blood leaking from my pajama shorts down my legs. I shriek, very concerned.

"You okay?" Nya asks, knocking on the bathroom door.

"Why the heck does it look like I was stabbed in the no-no square?!" I respond.

Nya's quiet for a second, but then she laughs. "You just got your period!"

"My period of what? Hallucination?"

"No, silly. AFABs get it once a month."

Something clicks in my head. Ohhhhhh...

"What am I supposed to do about it?"

"Get yourself cleaned up. I'll be back in a few minutes with a fresh set of clothes."

I grab a towel from the basket by the door, and hold it under the tap to get it damp. I wipe my legs off, then I try to get the blood off my shorts.

Nya knocks on the door. I open it, and she hands me some pants. I close the door again, change into them quickly, then let Nya inside the bathroom.

"This is for you," she says, handing me a box. Inside of it, there's... well, I'm not really sure what it is.

"It's a menstrual cup," Nya explains, noticing my confusion. "I know most people start with tampons or pads, but given that you're a ninja and you're always moving around, I thought this might be better for you."

"Uh... what's it for?"

Nya raises an eyebrow.

"Oh. I'm supposed to put it—um. Okay."

"Give it a try. Tampons only last 6-8 hours, but you can keep this in for 12. If you can't figure it out right now, use a pad for tonight."

"Do you use one of these?" I ask as I open the box.

"Yup. It's a lot more convenient, plus it's better for the environment."

"Okay. Thanks Nya," I say, then wait for her to leave the room so I can figure this sh*t out.

I give up about ten minutes later. I don't like this one bit.

"Did you figure it out?" Nya asks as I return to the bedroom.

"Nope," I sigh, flopping onto my bed.

"Don't worry; it'll take some time. You found the pads under the sink?"

"Yep. I feel like I'm wearing a diaper."

She laughs. "You'll get used to it."

"Why do I suddenly want chocolate?" I ask as I sit up. I don't bother getting under the covers; I know I'm not gonna fall back asleep.

"Your body needs magnesium. Here," she says, tossing me a chocolate bar. "I keep a stash for emergencies."

"Thanks... this is all so weird." 

"No problem! I know it's strange, but you'll get the hang of things eventually."

I nibble on the chocolate for a bit as Nya reads a book to herself. My thoughts drift over to Lloyd, and I make a mental note to tell him where the tampons are tomorrow for when he joins me in this suffering. 

Nya and I eventually start talking about hygiene and stuff, but we're interrupted when the radio-communicator in the control room crackles to life.

"We should go see what's that all about," Nya says.

We head for the control room, and Nya presses a button on the radio.

"This is Destiny's Bounty," she says into it. "What's the emergency?"

"This is the police. We've heard rumours about Garmadon heading towards the ancient city of the serpentine, and thought you might want to know."

Nya and I exchange glances.

"Okay, thank you," Nya tells the officer. "We'll head there now."

She hangs up, then turns on the microphone built into the control panel.

"Guys!" she says, her voice echoing through the speakers. "Wake up and get your gear ready! We've got a lead on you-know-who."