Chapter 5 - The Golden Weapons

Many months later...

"Focus, y/n!" Cole yells at me.

"I'm trying!" I protest.

Cole is helping me learn a new move. We've been on the same team for a while now, but for the past few months, Sensei has been training us in traditional armed combat, but Cole is teaching me how to defend myself without weapons.

"Watch me," he says, then demonstrates in slow motion.

I do as I was told, following the steps Cole had outlined for me thousands of times today, and I succeed in doing a roundhouse kick against the dummy.

"Hallelujah!" Cole throws his arms up in the air, exhausted and relieved.

"Oh, come on, it didn't take that long," I whine, but I know Cole's reaction was for a good reason; we had been at it for hours, and this was my first successful attempt.

"Dinner's ready!" Zane calls.

Cole and I race to the dinner table. He picks me up by the waist—not a difficult task, given that I'm half his size—and, despite my squirming, throws me to the side, winning the race. Dang it. I have yet to succeed at this daily battle.

"Nice apron, dude," Cole says, as Zane takes off his frilly pink pinafore and sits down to eat.

"Indeed," Sensei agrees. "Where'd you get it? I want one."

"I made it," Zane says. "I can sew one for you if you'd like."

"You can sew?!" Jay exclaims. "Wish you told me that two weeks ago when I tried to fix a hole in my sock with a stapler."

"I can teach you; it's quite simple," Zane offers.

"Why don't we make it a group lesson?" Kai suggests, pouring some soup into his bowl.

Cole nods. "I think we all could benefit from some home economics."

I choke on a potato. "Who are you and what did you do with your toxic masculinity?"

As the others talk amongst themselves, I sip my soup slowly, which tastes like the broth my mom gives me when I'm sick. Thinking of my mom makes me a little sad, but I remind myself that although I miss her, she probably doesn't miss me. Neither would my dad.

"Y/n, can you pass the salt?" Kai asks. I oblige and slide it across the table.

Before Kai is able to grab the shaker, it hits his plate, tips over, and spills everywhere.

Jay bursts into a fit of laughter, and naturally, I join in. Jay's laughter is very contagious, and half the time, I only laugh along with him because the way he chortles is so damn funny.

Kai seems annoyed—not at me, thank goodness—so he lights his fist on fire and holds the flame next to Jay. Jay squeals like a pig, and shields his eyes. I want to join in on the fun, so I hit my spoon with my fist, causing it to fly up into the air. I then I punch it forward, and the utensil hits Kai in the face.

Now everyone was laughing. Cole gives me a thumbs up, as if to say 'way to go', and smugly brags that he was the one to teach me that.

I sigh happily as the laughter echoes through our home. My friends have become my chosen family, and the warmth I receive from spending time with them is pure bliss.

More months later lol...

We're sleeping under a tree in the forest, waiting until morning to continue our quest. We're looking for the temple of fire, where the fourth golden weapon is hidden. We've already collected the scythe of quakes, the numbchucks of lightning, and the shurikens of ice; all that's left is the dragon sword of fire.

"Kai!" someone hisses.

My eyes pop open. What the heck was that?

"Nya?" Kai replies.

"Wait, what?" I whisper, turning over. Upon seeing her, I remember that she's just an illusion—the real one is currently being held captive. But there's no way that Kai would know that.

"No, Kai, wait!" I call quietly as my teammate chases after fake Nya, but he doesn't hear me.

I groan, then get up onto my feet. I pick up a katana, then I throw a stone at Jay, who wakes up with a snort.

"Alert the others," I tell him. "I'm going after Kai."

"Huh?" he questions, but I don't explain further. I run after the red ninja, knowing he's about to get himself into trouble.

I follow him to a clearing, and gasp. The temple of fire! It's huge! I stare at the building with an open mouth for a while,  but then I finally get over it and rush in after Kai. I make it through the door, and my eyes widen as I witness the real Nya being held over a pool of lava. From where I'm standing, I can't tell if it's a rope or metal chains that's suspending her over the hot liquid.

"The only way to save your sister is to pull the sword of fire from the stone," a voice in the shadows mummers. "Then you can cut her free."

"Ha, ha! Think again!" I shout, running further into the temple with my katana held above my head. "Kai, catch!"

I throw the blade, and he grabs the handle. He then uses it to cut the chains and rescue Nya. I have no idea how the katana was able to slice through the chains, but meh, I'm just glad Nya's okay.

"No!!" the voice cries.

"I bet you weren't expecting that, huh?" I smirk.

"Save the triumph for later, y/n!" Kai says. "We have to get out of here."

"Not so fast," the voice taunts. "Do you really think you can escape Lord Garmadon?"

"Uh, yes, actually."

"Well, think again!"

The next thing I know, we're surrounded by the skeleton army. Nya, Kai and I back up into each other, not knowing what to do.

"I don't remember this happening," I mumble worriedly.

Suddenly, the rest of the team bursts into the temple.

"Did somebody order an ass-whooping?" Jay asks. "Well, either way, you're about to get one!"

"Language!" Sensei scolds, hitting him on the head with his staff.

"Oww! Save that for the Skulkin!"

The skeletons start advancing towards us, but we fight them off with ease—they're not the brightest of opponents. We throw all of them that come our way into the lava, until there are no more Skulkin left to fight.

"Ha! Take that, Garmadon!" Cole says. "You're all out of skeletons."

"All but one," I say, tapping Cole on the arm.

"Samukai," he says, turning around.

"Grab the sword!" Garmadon orders the skeleton general. "Leave the other weapons; we'll grab them another day."

Samukai sprints like Naruto over to the dragon sword, and pulls it out of the rock. He then leaps past a pool of lava, and disappears.

"Where'd he go?" Kai asks.

"The underworld," Sensei says.

"Should we go after him?" Zane asks.

"No," he says. "That battle is better left for another day."