Chapter 8 - Pranks

"Kai!!!!!!!!"
"Cole!!!!!!!"
"Jay!!!!!!!!!"
"Zane!!!!!!!!"

Lloyd and I are laughing into our pillows, trying to keep the noise down. I had just helped Lloyd pull off some really great pranks, by request of our teacher. My favourite prank was dying Zane's suit pink.

The ninja are all arguing, and Sensei gathers Lloyd and I to confront them.

"Students! Calm down!"

My partner in crime and I snicker.

"It was them!" Cole realizes. "Boys, I've got first dibs on 'em," he says, rolling up his sleeves.

"There are no dibs!" Sensei says. I snort; I don't think he even knows what that term means.

"I put them up to this to teach you the power of rumours. And also because I misplaced my lesson book."

The ninja notice the very lesson book Sensei mentioned is in the hands of Lloyd.

"Y/n, did you have any part in this?" Kai asked, as he snatched it away. I don't blame him for asking; I do look very suspicious.

I glance at him, then at Lloyd, and then I sprint away as fast as I can.

...

"I feel really bad about the pranks, guys," Lloyd says at dinner. "So I brought you all something."

Lloyd hands out cans labeled "mixed nuts" to all the ninja, except for me. 

"No way I'm gonna fall for that," Cole says, standing up and walking to the fridge. "If I open that can, a whole bunch of rubber snakes are going to jump out at me."

Upon opening the fridge, Cole is greeted by those rubber snakes he was talking about flying out towards him. Lloyd and I double over in laughter immediately, and this time, we're joined by the rest of the crew.

As we all get ready for bed, I can't help but think about home. I miss my parents, even though they never make time for me, and I also have to finish painting my room... man, I'd be in a whole lot of trouble for the mess I made; I never got a chance to clean it up before getting sucked into the DVD player. Oh, and that's not to mention all the chores I've missed. 

And school! I've missed so much school! Sure, I might be learning a lot about combat here, but I haven't done any math problems since arriving, and I'm kinda worried I've forgotten how to multiply. 

I start to drift off to sleep as I think about returning to my birthplace. This has been the most amazing year, but I do have a life back home. Not a great one, I will admit; my parents just kind of... ignore me, and I've never been that great at school. Sometimes it feels like I don't have much of a future on earth, even though I grew up there. Shouldn't all that time count for something, though? Even if I was never happy, don't I owe it to my biological family to return home?

Home... maybe that's the question I should be asking.

Where exactly is home?