Chapter Nine

Jason's p.o.v

"Bear, go through the house and do one more final sweep." I said glancing to him. He nodded and walked back inside the house.

Will was gathering our belongings and setting them outside to pack the vans.

"Six, William, and Cali are here." Chase said pointing the car that was pulling into the driveway.

"Good, I was getting tired of waiting." I said looking at the car that was pulling into the driveway.

"Jason, I apologize for the wait." William said getting out of the car.

"You do know the rules?" I asked jumping to the point. I wasn't in the mood for small talk with these losers.

"Yes," William said clearing his throat. "Keep a low profile, make sure we contact you if there is anything out of the ordinary happening, and of course no funny busy." He answered.

"Good," I replied. "Bring your things inside the house and settle in. We will be leaving in a few and I will call when we arrive to central." I nodded as I noticed Miley's van pull in the driveway.

I found it funny that she was driving such a big van. I chuckled to myself as I watched her park and they all climbed out.

"What the fuck," Chuck said after he was out of the van.

"There is no way that we can all fit in this van for a road trip." Megan complained. They all seemed upset and I couldn't help but find it funny.

"Jason," Miley said walking over to me.

"What is going on?" I asked.

"They complained for the whole 10 minute drive and it was fucking terrible." She huffed looking a little pissed off herself.

"I suppose I should drive a separate car behind the vans." I suggested.

"That might help. The amount of luggage and people in the vans is a little ridiculous." She agreed.

"Okay, you can ride with me behind them." I said walking over to Bear whom was now standing outside helping Will pack the van.

"Miley and I will follow behind in my car. You can split up the luggage and put some in my car." I said handing him the keys.

"Chuck, grab some of the luggage from your van and put into my car." I said gesturing to my car.

"Okay," he nodded walking to the back of the van.

"Jon," Miley said walking over to him. "You can drive the van and follow behind Chase. And Lou ride with Chase so it won't be that tight of a squeeze." She informed him as she grabbed one of her bags out of the van.

"Okay," Jon said walking to help Chuck.

"Can I put this in the car with me?" Miley asked.

"Yeah," I nodded.

"Everything is clear and they are settling in." Chase said walking towards me. "Do we need to check anything else?" He asked.

"I think we are good." I said.

"Let's head out." I shouted. Everyone nodded and headed to their assigned vans. "Chase you will lead." I said walking to my car.

"Alright," he nodded getting into his van.

"Let's get out of here." I said getting in my car. Miley was already inside waiting.

"Ready?" I asked as I started up the car.

"Yeah," she replied.

*

"So," I said once we were on the road. Miley was quiet. I didn't mind, but this was going to be a long trip and I didn't want there to be awkward silence the whole way.

"How well do you know Denver?" I asked. I wanted to know more about what made Miley tick and Denver seemed to be the ticket in.

"Uh, what do you mean?" She asked looking over at me.

"Well, he is your contact and you said you guys are friends." I shrugged glancing over at her then back at the road. Denver and I go back and I couldn't understand them being friends.

"We knew each other from years ago." She shook her head. "We didn't date until after I moved away. He had moved to Miami, where I was staying, about a year or so later. We hung out a lot. He was a good friend." She shrugged.

"Did your father send him?" I asked. I didn't understand and it seemed that it would make sense if her father placed him in her life.

"No," she laughed. "He didn't start working for my father until 2 years ago." She continued. "Denver and I went to high school for a year together way before he had gotten involved in this business. He had transferred from Australia but only stay for a year of school. It was right before everything went down with my father and me. He left after everything happened and transferred to Boston to be closer to his family. That's how he got picked into the business." She explained.

"You seem to know his life story." I laughed.

"Well, we were friends." She sighed.

"So, when he moved to Miami that's when sparks flew?" I joked with a soft chuckle.

"He got placed there for business. We had ran into each other because I was working the pole and selling products on the low down. My name was just starting to flutter around the streets when he showed up. He had some business going down at a club I worked in and he noticed me." She said looking over at me.

"You worked the pole?" I laughed while licking my lips. This girl seemed like she could do anything. I knew she worked at a club but I didn't know that she worked the pole.

"There is a major difference between giving boners and producing something from them." She rolled her eyes.

"I don't doubt there isn't." I shook my head.

"Denver and I dated for over a year, but broke up because we both did a lot of travelling and never got to see each other. I don't do long distance. Hell, I rarely do relationships." She laughed.

"That makes sense." I said.

There seemed to be a lot that made her tick and it appeared that, at this point, Denver really didn't mean much of anything to her. As she talked about him there seemed to be no deep sense of connection. I guess what happened in the past, was left in the past. I knew that her father made her tick, but it was more about the fact that she meant nothing to him. I wanted to understand her, but I think it is going to take more than talking about an ex that she now cares nothing about.