The Monster Called Regret

"Thatch is...dead," Marco said, barely audible. His lips wobbled downwards as he forced himself to remain composed.

Irin stared at the man with wide eyes as they filled with tears almost immediately, "What?"

This just had to be the first news that Irin received when she boarded Moby Dick; after her long months of work...

No words could be formed, she only stared at Marco as tears rolled down her cheeks. Her brows were stitched together, her eyes wide with tears overflowing, and her nose was red. She refused to believe it. How could this be? Why was Thatch dead?

"How? How did Thatch-san die?!" she cried as she brought the back of her hand to her face, attempting to wipe her tears away but alas, they only flowed infinitely.

Marco glanced down, not wanting to relive the memory of him receiving the news. He bit onto his lips, forced them to stop wobbling downwards before looking up and informing Irin, "It was Teach-yoi... He killed Thatch and jumped ship... Ace left to look for him..."

She stared at Marco in shock for a bit as she sniffled. The pink haired girl then wiped her tears off and a determined look then stuck to her face, "I'm going after that bastard," she said, in a tone that Marco had never heard before.

A furious Irin was something he had never seen before. She was usually happy, smiling, and bubbly, but now her tone was low and her eyes looked fierce with anger raging behind the brownness.

The veins on her forehead were visible. She was sad but she was also angry, how could he? How could Teach do that to Thatch?

Thatch was like a brother to her.

Even though they were not as close as Izou and her, he was still important to her. He was kind, funny and supportive. Thatch was one of the friendliest people she had ever met.

Thatch was like family to her.

Thatch was family to her...

Irin slung her bag over her shoulder and stormed towards her jet ski-like boat but was stopped by Marco, "Irin, wait!" he exclaimed as he grabbed onto her shoulder, "Don't go after him."

Her head snapped towards Marco as she turned around, "What?! Why?!" she asked, her tone brash, unlike her usual gentle, calm one. Realizing her disrespectful tone, she closed her eyes and took in a deep breath before sighing, "I'm sorry Marco-san. Why can't I go after him?" she asked, in a gentler and calmer tone but a frown was still sewn onto her face.

Marco stared at Irin, his brows furrowed too but with a look of regret and sadness instead, unlike hers. "It's what Pops asked for... There's something fishy about Teach, there's something fishy with everything about this-yoi... So don't go after that bastard," Marco said, anger hidden behind his worried tone.

He, too, just as much as Ace and Irin, longed to hunt down that traitor. However, Pops forbade them to do so.

"But how could I just let this go? Thatch-san he– he was such an amazing person! He deserved so much! He always talked about being a good cook! He was supposed to become one of the greatest cooks in the world! He was supposed to go on so many more adventures with the family! He– he wasn't supposed to die like this...!" Irin cried, collapsing onto the ground after voicing her despair. She sat on the wooden deck with her face buried into her hands, "This isn't fair... This isn't fair to him..." she said, her breath running through her words as she cried like a child.