Chapter 1: Tranquility

The soft sound of running water slowly filling up a bucket filled the young girls ears, her eyes watching as the liquid reflected the bright sun just behind her.

The sun was setting and the night coming to a close, once the bucket was filled up the hose was retracted from inside the fence and the water turned off leaving a mellowing silence to fall upon the girl.

Now the only thing that could be heard was the soft breeze slowly pushing the branches of the trees and grass, nearby animals lightly nickering to one and another and quiet munches from the cows whom where enjoying the restful days afternoon sun slowly heating them up.

Her eyes flickered up to gaze at the beautiful scenery for just a moment before turning around and heading back towards the ancient barn.

Upon immediate entry (Y/n) was hit with the sweet smell of hay and oak wood, the old barn was certainly nothing fancy but it held a soft spot in the girls heart. This barn had been her escape, her safe grounds where she learned her skills and worked hard to spend time with the animals of the Dwindle Ranch.

Slowly winding up the long green hose, (Y/n) took this moment to think about any other chores for the night, but she only came to the conclusion that she had finished.

Once the hose was tucked away on the wire rack, echoing footsteps followed the girls movements as she made her way down to the entrance of the place she loved most. Turning the corner she was immediately meet with the kind eyes of the man who saved her. His tall structure slightly bent over due to aging, but his eyes still sparkled like a youthful child.

"Oh, hey Mr. Dwindle, I've just finished up for the day. Would you like me to start on dinner?" She asked with a warming smile, happy to see him once again.

"Oh wonderful, and that's exactly why I came out here! I've just finished with dinner so would you mind bringing in the basket of eggs from today and then wash up!" The man beamed with a closed eye smile that warmed the girls heart.

"Of course, I'll be right in!" (Y/n) smiled as she turned on her heel to go back and fetch todays collection of eggs.

"And what have I told you, it's Thomas my dear." He corrected her with a wink.

"Oops... sorry" She chuckled.

A few minutes later...

Once back inside, (Y/n) was quick to wash her hands and have a seat, the warm smell of Thomas's home cooked tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich filled the room bringing a smile to everyone's face.

Seated at the head of the table was none other then Thomas himself, the seat to his right was accompanied by Matthew. A slightly lanky looking boy, only two years older then (Y/n), his soft brown hair fell lightly around his head, a few pieces falling in front of his eyes.

Sitting beside Matthew a five year old girl who just barely see the top of the table even while sitting on three books, smiled a wide grin while taking a large bite of her sandwich. This little angel was called Mila, Matthews younger sister. As far as (Y/n) knew, the two had been rescued from a tense living situation by Thomas a year before she had shown up.

As for the other head of the table, no one accompanied that seat. In fact, no one had sat in in for several years after the death of Thomas's wife. As far as everyone was concerned, that place was left untouched. Even when guests came for a visit, Thomas would start acting strange and not let anyone sit there if someone attempted to pull out the chair unknowingly.

As for the seat to the left of Thomas, it was filled with (Y/n), and there was no one to sit in the chair to her left.

This was an odd family of four, but they made due with what they had, because this is all the have. Each and everyone of them helps out on this ranch in return of a place to call home.

This odd little ranch was placed just inside wall rose, due to the majority of farms being inside wall Maria, having a ranch inside Rose was a good option as it was known widely and got many different buyers.

"Hey (Y/n), can you pass me the water?" Matthew asked, snapping (Y/n)'s mind back out of her daydream.

"Huh, oh yeah." The girl replied as she picked up the large water glass by her side and reaching it across the table into Matthews grip.

"Thanks." He almost whispered as his eyes dashed up to her's for just a moment before focusing on pouring the liquid into Mila's cup, and then filling his own glass.

"Tomorrow I'll be taking Matthew into town with me to purchase some more feed, the cows are getting low. While we are there we will do some grocery shopping as well. (Y/n), I have two clients coming tomorrow afternoon. One is looking for a few dairy cows and the other is looking for a horse. Would you mind helping them out? Mila is going to tend to the chickens and filling water so you won't need to worry about those." Thomas stated while stirring his soup and blowing on it to cool every once in a while.

"Yeah that's fine, I'll take care of them. How many horses do you plan on using to ride into town?" The girl replied as she took a bite of food.

"I'll bring two, just enough to pull the carriage. You know which horses are for sale currently?" The old man asked.

"Yup, don't worry I have it covered." (Y/n) responded.

"I knew I could always rely on you." Thomas said while giving her a warming smile, she returned the gesture.

Yanking everyone's attention to the small child, a loud crash hit the floor as a shrill of hundreds of pieces of glass smashed against the floor with the final thud of the young girl falling off the chair.

"Shit, Mila!" Matthew shouted, violently standing up to rush to her aid.

(Y/n)'s eyes widened, quickly leaping up to help the girl.

"(Y/n) please take Mila to tend to her wounds and then give her a bath to make sure everything is off. Matthew get the broom, everything will be alright." the old man instructed as Mila's cry's filled the room.

Carefully picking up the small girl, she quickly carried her to the the kitchen to search for any large pieces of glass or cuts. From the other room (Y/n) could hear Matthews muffled apologizes and Thomas trying to explain it was okay, it was just one glass.

Mila rested on the edge of the counter still shaking from the fall, afraid of getting in trouble. After carefully inspecting her (Y/n) glanced up and into her large fearful eyes.

Giving off a sweet smile, she placed her right hand in the back of Mila's head pulling her close in for a small hug.

"Ever noticed how we only have six glasses in this house?" (Y/n) softly asked Mila whom responded with a slight nod.

"That's because when I first got her I broke three in one sitting after I accidentally put to much lotion on." She whispered giving the young one a quick wink.

Mila's lips twisted up into a smile and giggled lightly "Really?"

"Really." (Y/n) smiled. "Now let's get you clean, you've been around the horses all day!" She laughed plugging her nose and waving other her hand around.

"Hey!" Mila laughed swatting at (Y/n)'s hands.

"That's right! That's what they eat!" (Y/N) laughed carefully picking her and carrying the giggling child to the bathroom to be cleaned.

~
Thank you so much for reading I really hoped you enjoyed this first chapter! Please let me know what you think and of course votes are much appreciated and would really help me out☺️