Chapter 31: Taking things slow

Same day, during ride back to HQ

The horses happily walked along the lush thick grass, the blades being trampled underneath the moving hooves. Happy snorts could be heard and the soft ears danced around excitedly as the creatures moved, exited for their dinner once back home.

The young girls eyes traced over the landscape, her mind at peace as she watched the trees flowing lightly, the clouds moving slowly and the birds flying around joyfully.

Little did she know, the stone cold eyes of her captain watched her from behind, unconsciously tracing her figure.

As she admired the landscape, her eyes traced back over to the strong neck of her horse. Watching as the little wisps of her mares mane flew about, her muscles moving and her head bobbing slightly. She watched as Marleys ears swiveled around, listening to the sounds of nature and talk from the other riders behind her.

Approaching her from her right, Gunther matched her speed, shyly looking over.

"Hey... (Y/n)?" He asked cautiously, the young girl looking over to him.

"Hey." She smiled softly, the man's slicked back hair resting calmly on his head, trimmed perfectly to show off his reddened ears.

"Uh... can I have a word with you?" Gunther asked stammered, breaking eye contact frequently.

"Umm... yeah, sure." She replied sweetly, her eyes flickering briefly over towards her Captain who rode directly behind Gunther, wondering if he had seen this interaction, only to be meet with his icy cold eyes already watching her.

Quickly looking away, she bit the inside of her cheek as she pulled her horse aside slightly, steering away from the group but still moving forward. Gunther was quick to follow, though they hadn't strayed to far, still in range to be heard by anyone nearby, which happened to be Levi.

"I- uh... gosh sorry.." He chuckled awkwardly, "I know this is a bit out of the blue... but as far as I know, your single... so I wanted to know if you would be interested in going on a date with me? I won't be offended at all if you say no, I was just curious.." He finished doubtfully, unaware of the the silvery eyes staring daggers into his back.

(Y/n)'s eyes widened slightly as he spoke, her gaze shooting down to her horses neck, her brain processing what the man had just asked.

The girl paused, continuing to bite her lip as she thought of her next words, "Gunther... I really appreciate it, but I'm sorry, I'm going to have to turn you down... I just, I really only see you as a friend. But I know that took a lot of gut so I've really gotta hand it to you, thank you for asking but I'm sorry..." She replied thoughtfully, looking up to the beet red man who looked down in embarrassment.

"Oh... okay... I just- I don't... is there something.. wrong with me?" He trailed off, the green scouting cape flowing softly in the wind.

"What- Gunther no. No no no, nothing like that at all, your a great person and I really appreciate it but, I'm sorry I'm just not interested in you like that..." She quickly corrected him, smiling softly.

"But- you are single aren't you?" He asked, his eyes flashing back up to hers in desperation.

The girls lips parted slightly, her mind stopping, she wasn't even fully sure herself. Her eyes dashed downwards, her mind searching for the answer but coming up empty handed.

The man a few meters away watched her, curious to what she would respond with as well.

Looking back up to the man, she sucked in a breath quietly, "No... I'm not."

Gunther's eyes widened slightly, his embarrassment overrun by shock, not having expected that response.

From behind the dumbfounded man, Levi cocked an eyebrow from her response, slightly releasing a sigh he didn't even know he was holding. Though surprised by her response, the man could feel a sense of relief and pleasure from her reply.