Prologue

"How are the kits doing?" Hoverstar, ThunderClan's righteous leader, asked Dawnfern.

Dawnfern looked at her two kits with caring eyes. The fragile tom-kit had a light brown pelt with black stripes while the scruffy she-kit had white fur that faded into a light grey on her face, and feet. Both of their eyes were squeezed shut as they snuggled next to each other, and Dawnfern, for warmth.

"They're both perfectly healthy, I haven't decided on names yet."

Hoverstar nodded, satisfied with her answer, and left the nursery.

Dawnfern had thought of a few names for the kits, but none of them really seemed right. While she thought of names, she heard two cats enter the nursery.

She saw the fiery ginger pelt of her mate, Duskwing, and the black pelt of the ThunderClan medicine cat, Blackpool.

The setting sun gave Duskwing's orange pelt a red hue around it, making him look more majestic.

"Good evening, Dawnfern. I hope all is well with you." Blackpool brushed his tail over her back for comfort.

"Yes, everything is great Blackpool. Thank you for visiting." Dawnfern dipped her head in thanks.

She and Blackpool had been good friends since they were kits, she always admired his wisdom and kindness.

Duskwing walked towards her and licked her head.

"I'm happy to see you, my love." he coed. "Have you decided on names yet?"

"Not yet." she replied. Duskwing looked like he was thinking, he then smiled and looked at the little brown tom-kit.

"What about Wrenkit for this little one?" he looked back up at Dawnfern.

The name sounded perfect for the frail little kit.

"I love it." she responded. She repeated the name again to herself while brushing her tail over the tom-kit.

Dawnfern looked over at the small, smoke coloured she-kit.

"Blackpool, do you want to name her?" She turned to the medicine cat. Blackpool looked from her to the she-kit, before smiling sweetly.

"Smokekit sounds like a fine name for this little one." When Blackpool had said the name, the kit's eyes opened to slits for the first time to reveal glossy orange orbs.

There was curiosity and wonder in her eyes. She only opened her eyes for a brief moment, closing them shut again after a few seconds.

"Smokekit." Dawnfern whispered to herself.

The name suited the kit very well.

Something told Dawnfern that both of her kits would grow up to be righteous warriors.

"It's perfect."