Chapter 35

That night, ThunderClan held a vigil for Hollowfang and Fawnheart. Smokestorm shared tongues with Spiderclaw. She tried not to weep, she needed to be strong.
Many cats layed on the ground, waiting desperately for Blackpool and Darkpaw to return.
Smokestorm worried for them, since they were passing WindClan territory. But she knew they were both smart, and wouldn't get seen.
Smokestorm was surprised that Blackpool had survived so long with greencough, she guessed that Darkpaw was doing a good job at keeping him healthy. But it wouldn't last long. She knew he was going to die soon, perhaps he would never even return to ThunderClan.
This was too much. Too many cats were dying.
She suspected that all four clans would go into battle against each other soon, and even more lives will be lost.

Smokestorm, Wrenfeather, Spiderclaw, Dawnfern and Proudstar were gathered around Hollowfang's body, while Flamesnout, Silvertail, Lynxtail and Flowerdust were gathered around Fawnheart's body.
Wrenfeather shared tongues with their mother and Proudstar just watched his dead son with an unreadable expression.
Proudstar walked over to Smokestorm and Spiderclaw.
"Are you two okay?" He asked.
Spiderclaw was trembling, but nodded anyway. He was trying to conceal his "weakness" in front of his father and leader.
"You need to do something." Smokestorm blurted.
"You can't just sit around and wait for them to attack again." She added.
Proudstar's tail twitched.
"I know you're upset, but the warrior code states that we do not hunt or trespass on another clan's territory. I do not want to carry this battle out into a war." He explained.
"But the warrior code also says that we must defend our clan, even at the cost of our lives. Everyone in our clan, everyone we know, is in danger!"
"More war will not solve that, Smokestorm. We must keep peace and heal."
"I'm not saying we go into war."
Proudstar's tail flicked back and forth.
"We need a new strategy. We need more patrols at moonhigh and sunhigh. I will personally volunteer to patrol WindClan's borders."
Smokestorm looked over to the apprentice's den, thinking of Spottedpaw and Gingerpaw not having mentors.
"I will also take Spottedpaw, along with Sparrowpaw, as my apprentice if you'll allow it. I would like to pay homage to Hollowfang and take good care of his apprentice."

Proudstar hesitated, but nodded.
"I need to call a clan meeting anyways, I'll announce that." Proudstar trotted away to the highrock.
"StarClan, you've gotten bold. Who do you think he'll choose as his deputy?" Spiderclaw asked, trying to distract himself from Hollowfang.
"Honestly, Spiderclaw. I think there's a good chance he'll pick you. You held your own against WindClan while I got the clan. You're really strong and I think you'd make a great deputy." She stated.
Spiderclaw huffed and looked away.
"I didn't know you were shy, Spiderclaw." She teased, lightening the mood.
"I'm not shy!" He chuckled.
Proudstar yowled, bringing everyone's attention to the highrock. Every single cat in ThunderClan made their way to the highrock, including the elders and kits.
All of ThunderClan looked at him desperately, seeking good news or wisdom.

"ThunderClan! We have lost two brave warriors today. Hollowfang, my son and a strong warrior, has died in battle as most of you know. His apprentice, Spottedpaw, will henceforth be mentored by Smokestorm along with Sparrowpaw. Fawnheart, my deputy and old friend, has also passed on. Her apprentice, Gingerpaw, shall now be mentored by Whitefur. Whitefur, you have proven yourself to be loyal and just. You are ready to take on your first apprentice. I trust that you will pass on all you know to Gingerpaw."
Whitefur nodded, lightening up that he was getting his first apprentice.
"Now that Fawnheart has passed, we need a new deputy. I say these words before StarClan, so that the spirits of our warrior ancestors may hear and approve of my choice. The new deputy of ThunderClan will be..." Proudstar paused, as if he himself wasn't sure who he'd choose.
The clan froze in anticipation.
"Smokestorm." He finally said.
Her? But they just had a bit of a squabble. Why her?
Smokestorm nodded nonetheless.
"I hope Darkpaw and Blackpool will return soon to heal you all," Proudstar continued. "But for now I would like Lynxtail to deal with any emergencies until they return." he said, knowing Lynxtail had medical experience.
"I have also...lost two of my lives in battle." All the ThunderClan cats gasped.
Two lives already? That was reckless.
"Clan dismissed."

Smokestorm wanted to talk to Proudstep about his choice, but she remembered that Hollowfang's kits were still hidden somewhere.
She snuck out of camp to go find them, but heard footsteps coming from behind her.
"Smokestorm? What are you doing?" Lightpaw asked.
Smokestorm quickly thought of an excuse.
"I smelled cats around here, I was checking it out. Would you like to come with me? It'll be good training for you." she asked.
She knew if she had an alias that the clan would believe that the kits really were just found on the border.
Lightpaw snorted, but followed her anyway.
Lightpaw was nearly her size at this point, and he was still growing. He seemed a little grumpier than usual.
"What's got your fur in a bunch?" she asked.
"I could've helped out there." his ears flattened as he kept his gaze on the ground.
"Look at me." she said. He slowly tore his gaze away from the ground to meet her eyes.
"I understand that you want to help. I know, okay? It sucks to sit and do nothing when you feel like you could be out doing something. But defense matters just as much as offense. We need our strongest warriors to stay behind and protect camp in case another clan makes it past us on the battlefield. It might seem cowardly and weak to the closed minded, but I think it's brave and honorable to protect the elders, queens and kits." She explained.
"Also, I would have felt awful if I lost you in battle." she added.
Lightpaw licked his chest fur to hide his embarrassment.

The scents of the kits neared, leading Smokestorm to a hollow in a tree.
She saw Emberkit and Ghostkit huddled together for warmth.
"Kits?" Lightpaw tilted his head.
"What do we do with them?" He turned to Smokestorm.
"The warrior code says that we shouldn't leave a kit, even if it's from a different clan. We'll take them back to camp with us and Proudstar will decide what to do with them."
Smokestorm picked up Ghostkit while Lightpaw picked up Emberkit. The two trotted back to camp and into Proudstar's den.
This woke him up from his slumber.
"Thank you, Lightpaw. You can sleep now." she said, silently ushering him to leave.
He nodded and left.
"What's this?" Proudstar asked.
He took a whiff of the kits. Smokestorm leaned in closer and lowered her voice.
"They're Hollowfang's kits. You're their grandfather. The tomkit is Emberkit and the she-kit is Ghostkit. We can give them to Ravenshine to adopt."
Proudstar shook his head in disagreement.
"Then Ravenshine will have to raise five kits. That would be exhausting. We need someone who will willingly raise the kits." he said.
Smokestorm nodded, thinking about someone who would willingly give up six moons of their life to raise kits that weren't their own.
Smokestorm suddenly got an idea.

...

"I know it's a lot to ask, but we thought you'd make a good mother to these kits." Smokestorm said.
Lynxtail sighed.
It was the morning after Smokestorm had found the kits, and she'd thought that Lynxtail would make an excellent mother. She was nurturing and motherly.
"I will, once Darkpaw and Blackpool get back."
Smokestorm nodded in thanks.
As if on cue, Quailwhisker announced Darkpaw's arrival.
Smokestorm, Proudstar, and most of the clan made their way to Darkpaw.
Smokestorm could tell that Darkpaw realized something happened when he scanned the fresh cuts on all the warriors.
"Where's Blackpool?" Proudstar asked.
By Darkpaw's silence, Proudstar and Smokestorm assumed what had happened.
"What's your name now, son?" Proudstar leaned in so Darkpaw could whisper to him his new name.
"ThunderClan. I present to you your new medicine cat, Darkcloud." he announced.

Smokestorm, Spiderclaw and Wrenfeather all came up and congratulated him.
"Where's Hollowfang?" Darkcloud asked, searching the crowd for his second brother.
SpiderClaw and Wrenfeather both looked at each other, then at Smokestorm.
"He, uh, passed away." Smokestorm said, hating to deliver him the bad news.
Darkcloud was taken aback by this. He looked at the ground sadly.
"Oh." He simply uttered.
Proudstar interjected.
"Darkcloud, there are many warriors that need healing." He said.
Darkcloud shook himself, looked at Proudstar and nodded.
"Right away."