Chapter 25

The day after Smokepaw returned, she spent the day with her mentor hunting. She'd already killed five prey, it was a lot easier to do so after Fox's advice.
"I see your hunting skills have improved." Flamesnout remarked, stepping out of his hiding place.
"Yes, I learned some tricks from the rogues." She replied. She then remembered something.
"Oh, I remember I wanted to tell you something." Flamesnout sat with his ears stretched, prepared to listen.
"The rogues formed three clans of their own: DuneClan, FireClan and MoonClan." This piqued his interest.
"FireClan's leader is a tom named Vox. He's a moon younger than you."
Flamesnout's ears pricked.
"Well, thanks for making me feel lazy." He joked with a scoff.

"You'd like Vox. He was strong and brave and a great leader. He stopped a war between the clans and helped them thrive." She stated, remembering how kind he was to the other clans and his own.
Flamesnout stayed silent, scowling at the ground. It looked like he was deep in thought, a thought he did not like. Smokepaw then realized. He was probably thinking about how a cat, who was younger than him, could do all of that and he hadn't done anything important.
"But, you're great too. You're an awesome mentor." She said quickly.
He looked up at her, then snorted, amused.
"Thanks."

They hunted and patrolled the rest of the day, talking about Smokepaw's adventures and catching up on clan news from when she was away. They eventually returned back to camp carrying the prey she'd caught.
The kits she met the day before ran up to her.
"Can you tell us how you got your scars now?" Sparrowkit asked.
"Uh, sure. I'll get some prey to eat and meet you five back at the nursery." She said. They scurried back to the nursery.
"Seems like they like you." Dawnfern said from beside her.
Smokepaw made sure to stay with her mother and talk the entire night before.
"Except for...Lightkit, I think his name was? Yeah, I better not keep them waiting." She grabbed a rabbit from the fresh-kill pile and trotted over to the nursery.

Flowerdust and Frostbite were chatting with each other when she arrived. Just by looking at them, she could tell who's kits were who's. Lightkit and Spottedkit definitely belonged to Flowerdust, they both had brown pelts like her. Gingerkit, Sparrowkit and Maplekit had blonde or ginger pelts. Frostbite had a white and blonde pelt, but she knew that her mate was Snakeshde, who was ginger.
The five kits were all gathered around in a semicircle. Lightkit looked disinterested for the most part and Spottedkit and Gingerkit looked calmer than Maplekit and Sparrowkit.
Smokepaw sat and set her rabbit down.
"What would you like to hear about first.?" She asked.
"Can you tell us about the one on your snout first?" Gingerkit asked mellowly.
Smokepaw nodded and cleared her throat.

"When I left ThunderClan, I found three other clans. They were based off our clans but had different names: DuneClan, FireClan and MoonClan. I met the cats in DuneClan and they were kind enough to let me stay with them. One day, I was patrolling like any other day. But, I heard a cry for help." She spoke in an animated voice, intriguing the kits even more.
"I ran to where the cries were coming from, and I saw that one of DuneClan's warriors was being attacked by a Sharptooth!" Maplekit and Sparrowkit gasped. Flowerdust and Frostbite both giggled at their kits.
"I jumped in to help him but it slashed my snout. I pushed through the pain and clawed at its eyes, then the warrior killed the sharptooth with a swift swipe to its neck."

"Woah."
"That's so cool!"
"I totally would have ran."
"Hm, that's pretty cool."
"Your so awesome!"
They all said at the same time.
"Tell us about the ones on your back!" Maplekit exclaimed.
Smokepaw continued telling them stories until it was finally time to sleep. Smokepaw promised that she'd come and visit tomorrow.
She went to the medicine den to see Lynx. Hoverstar had announced that Lynx would recieve her new name and officially join the clan a quarter moon after Wrenpaw and Smokepaw became warriors. That way, she would be in the clan for a moon and Hoverstar would know if she was trustworthy.
Smokepaw entered the medicine den, her eyes landing on the tabby she-cat laying in the corner.

"Hey, Lynx. How's it going?" She asked.
"It's good. Your medicine cat is very nice, he's been telling me how this clan works. It's different from FireClan but I'll get used to it." She purred.
"That's great."
They chatted for a while, but Smokepaw was still tired from all the traveling they did and went to the apprentices' den. The star lake shimmered as she walked back.
It was still weird that her and Wrenpaw were the only ones in the apprentices' den.
Not for much longer. She reminded herself. She would become a warrior soon and the kits would become apprentices' soon. The den would be filled once more.