Chapter 37

Smokestorm felt odd not going to the apprentices' den at dawn and waking up Sparrowpaw and Spottedpaw.
No. They were Sparrowstripe and Spottedfrost now.
Smokestorm heard cries and hisses coming from ShadowClan and WindClan. She knew they were having a battle.
Smokestorm trotted over to Proudstar's den.
"Proudstar, ShadowClan and WindClan are battling now. I can hear them." She said.
Proudstar turned to her.
"They'll come after us again soon. I was talking with Halfstar and Redstar before Jaggedstar arrived at the gathering, we plan to attack them in a half-moon from now." He said.
Finally he was taking charge.

Darkcloud came rushing into the den.
"Proudstar, I had a vision." He stated, sounding a little panicked.
"What happened?" Proudstar demanded.
"It wasn't really clear, but I know that...if we don't get reinforcements, we will lose the battle. WindClan and RiverClan plan on teaming up and attacking in a few days." He said.
Proudstar pondered.
"Thank you, Darkcloud. Smokestorm and I will discuss this." He pardoned Darkcloud.
Darkcloud gave Smokestorm a tense look, before leaving the den.
"What do you think we should do?" Smokestorm asked.
"..."
Proudstar thought for so long that Smokestorm wasn't sure he was going to reply.
"Do you remember the way to DuneClan?" He asked.
"...Yes?"
"And do you think they'll help us?"
Now it was Smokestorm's turn to ponder.
"FireClan and DuneClan definitely won't send the entirety of their clans, but yes. I think they'll help us."

"I want you, Darkcloud, and one more warrior of your choice to go with you and retrieve some help. I'll get Lynxtail to help healing, but Darkcloud needs to go in case he has another vision that could help you. You must leave before sunhigh if you're going to make it there before the clans attack." He commanded.
Smokestorm nodded and moved swiftly out of the den.
She already knew she would take Spottedfrost with her, since she'd shown the best skill in her trial.
Smokestorm went to retrieve Darkcloud in his den.
"Darkcloud, we're leaving for DuneClan right now." She said, interrupting him organizing his herbs.
He nodded briskly.
"Can you get Spottedfrost to come with us, i need to tell Lynxtail something."

Smokestorm pushed through the entrance of the nursery, seeing Emberkit and Ghostkit play fighting and Lynxtail watching them happily. Cloverkit and Beetlekit were running around the nursery while Ravenshine took a nap.
"Lynxtail, Darkcloud and I are leaving to go to DuneClan and FireClan. Can you heal anyone that needs to be healed please."
Lynxtail nodded.
"Tell Vox hi for me."
"I will."
Smokestorm met Darkcloud and Spottedfrost by the entrance of the camp.
"Let's get a move on. We need to get there and back in a matter of days."

Smokestorm, Darkcloud and Spottedfrost ran on the side of the thunderpath. Smokestorm knew they would have to take little rests and run all day to get there in time. It took her a half moon to get half way, a little while on the thin monster to get to Raven's house AND another while to get to DuneClan's camp.
Darkcloud sort of fell behind, since he wasn't used to this much running. Smokestorm slowed down a bit and pushed his flank ahead.
They ran and ran until their legs collapsed.
Smokestorm found easy prey for the three of them and they ate silently at moonhigh. Spottedfrost fell asleep quickly after eating, but Smokestorm knew she'd have to wake her up before sunrise to continue running if they were going to make it in time.

"So..." Darkcloud trailed off, feeling a little awkward.
"Do you feel sad that you can't have a mate or kits?" He asked.
"What?"
"You know, deputies and leaders usually try not to have kits. it's not strictly forbidden but still." He explained.
"Well, yes, I know that. But why are you asking?"
"..."
He paused.
"Well, I kind of gave up the possibility of me having kits when I became an apprentice. I've kind of had this 'you should be distant so you don't get tempted' feeling for a while. But it's all kind of new to you."
Smokestorm hadn't really thought about it that much, the possibility of having kits one day.
"Well, personally I don't want kits. I would like to have a mate someday maybe but not kits. A mate can allow me to have some joy in my life but kits would distract me from my duties." She replied.

Darkcloud nodded slowly.
Was that regret?
It almost appeared as if a flash of regret passed in Darkcloud's features, but when she blinked, it was gone.
"We need to sleep. I'll wake you guys up before sunrise." She said.

...

"Smokestorm. Smokestorm."
A voice woke Smokestorm up. She was tired, but she knew the voice wasn't Darkcloud or Spottedfrost.
"Go away, Crimsonpelt. I need to sleep to save energy." she mumbled.
"I'm not Crimsonpelt."
Smokestorm opened her eyes and lifted her head slowly to see Hollowfang.
She jumped up and almost pounced on him with joy, but she realized that he was a spirit.
"Oh, Hollowfang. I'm so sorry."
"I'm just glad I can talk to you."
Smokestorm figured that Hollowfang had crossed paths with Crimsonpelt at some point, then got directed to her.
"Are my kits safe?" He asked.
"Yes. Lynxtail is watching over them. I promise I'll watch them and make sure they become great warriors. I also apprenticed Spottedpaw for you. She's probably the most skilled warrior out of the five." She remarked.
Hollowfang chuckled, but turned serious again.
"Take care of the clan." He said, before disappearing into the night.

The sun was just beginning to rise beyond the horizon.
Smokestorm woke Spottedfrost first, then Darkcloud. They continued running for three days straight, barely stopping to eat or rest.
They finally arrived at the FireClan camp at sunhigh of the third day. A FireClan warrior stopped them when they got to the border.
"Who are you? Are you from MoonClan?" She asked.
"No, no. I'm Omni, from DuneClan." She stated.
"Never heard of you."
Interesting. This warrior must be new. Maybe just taken in?
"It's okay, I remember her." Vox's familiar voice came from behind the warrior.