Chapter 24

Hoverstar stepped out of his den, seeing what all the ruckus in the clan was about. He took a look at Smokepaw, startled at first but he slowly realized who she was.
He walked towards her with an unreadable expression.
"I would like to see you and the rogue in my den. We need to talk." He said nonchalantly.
"Yeah, we do." She didn't really need to talk to him that urgently, she only said that to freak him out a bit.
The three of them entered Hoverstar's den.
"So, what is this rogue doing in my clan?" He asked.
"Lynx wishes to join. She was like the medicine cat in her...in her group. She is very nice and would make a good addition to our clan." Smokepaw stated, not wanting to get into the whole clans with rogues conversation.

"...Very well. I will make sure Proudstep watches her for a short while. Lynx, you are dismissed, please go find Spiderclaw again and tell him to take you to Blackpool. He'll watch you until Proudstep returns." Lynx dipped her head and left, leaving Smokepaw alone with Hoverstar.
"I see you have some new scars." He sputtered, sounding like he felt a little guilty.
"Yes." She responded quickly, wanting to get to the point.
"Listen...I went a little overboard with the whole exile thing. I was just scared that you would ruin my reputation. Is there something I can do to make it up to you?" He asked.
Smokepaw thought for a moment. She was grateful for the experiences she had and the friends she made being a rogue, but she would like an apology.

"I want an apology. A public apology, in front of the whole clan. I don't want any excuses."
Hoverstar stayed silent.
"I did what I thought was right. Is there something else you want?"
Smokepaw did know what else she wanted.
"I want to continue my training where it should be. I want to become a warrior when Wrenpaw does, the four moons you forced me out of ThunderClan will count towards my apprenticeship."
Hoverstar hesitated.
"You talk about not wanting your reputation ruined after you destroyed mine. You stole me from ShadowClan, then publicly humiliated me in front of ThunderClan. You sent me out on my own, to die. The very least you could do is give me this."
"...Alright. Flamesnout will continue to be your mentor for one more moon. You are dismissed."

It was sunhigh, Smokepaw knew most of her friends and family were out patrolling and hunting. She decided to visit Blackpool and Darkpaw first, since they were probably in camp.
She walked into the medicine den, seeing Blackpool and Lynx chatting.
"Smokepaw!" Blackpool exclaimed, running over to her and rubbing her head with his own.
"It's great to see you again, Blackpool."
Blackpool was about to return her sentence, but he saw her scars and froze.
"A-Are you okay? What happened? Here, let me get you someth-"
"I'm fine, I'm fine. Life as a rogue is just a little tough, but Lynx was like a medicine cat in the group I stayed with. She helped me." Blackpool looked over at Lynx in thanks and with newfound interest.
He looked back over at Smokepaw.
"Darkpaw's in the nursery. One of the kits has a sore stomach." Blackpool stated.
Smokepaw thanked him and made her way to the nursery.

Smokepaw pushed through the entrence of the nursery.
"Ow! It still hurts!" A young voice groaned.
"It'll stop hurting in a bit." Darkpaw's familiar voice spoke.
She saw Darkpaw's black pelt come into view, along with smaller vaguely familiar kits. These were the five kits she'd met when she returned from ShadowClan. They were born a moon after Smokepaw first became an apprentice, meaning that they'd become apprentices themselves in a little over a moon.
"Hello." Smokepaw's voice made Darkpaw swing around. He purred when he saw her. She walked over to sit next to him, intertwining tails.

"Who's this?" A brown tabby kit snorted. He was a bit big to be a kit, and his saltiness reminded her of Spiderclaw.
"My name is Smokepaw. I just returned from an adventure. Who are you five?" To be honest, she'd completely forgotten their names.
"This is Lightkit." Darkpaw pointed his tail at the salty kit.
"This is Maplekit." He pointed his tail at an orange/golden she-kit, who was the one with the stomach ache.
"This is Sparrowkit." He pointed at a blonde Tom-kit with darker yellow stripes.
This is Spottedkit." He pointed at a brown she-kit with black stripes and piercing blue eyes.
"And this is Gingerkit." He finally pointed at a she-kit with ginger fur and yellow eyes.

"How'd you get that scar?" Maplekit pointed her tail at Smokepaw's neck.
"A RiverClan cat cut my throat five moons ago." She said simply.
"Wow! Tell us more! Tell us more!" Maplekit exclaimed.
"She'lol tell you more later, she just got home so she needs to say hello to her friends. She hasn't seen them in four moons." Darkpaw interrupted.
"Wrenpaw and your mother should be returning soon."

Smokepaw thanked him, leaving the nursery. She would return in a few days to tell them about her scars, since they seemed pretty interested.
She waited by ThunderClan's entrance, anticipation filling her mind. A few cats pushed through the entrance of ThunderClan's camp, but Wrenpaw wasn't there yet.
Finally, Wrenpaw and Hollowfang entered camp. They were talking about something that Smokepaw couldn't hear, they clearly didn't see her.
She couldn't believe it. Her brother was right in front of her. He looked calmer, more level headed than before. He had grown, but was still smaller than her.
Without thinking she ran to him and tackled him to the ground.
Wrenpaw panicked and squirmed a bit, before seeing who had tackled him.

"Smokepaw!" He rubbed his whole body against her, resting his head on hers.
"I knew you'd come back. I missed you so much." He said quietly.
"Not to break up this tender moment, but can I get a hello too?" Hollowfang asked. Smokepaw chuckled and licked his head.
"I love you." She said to Wrenpaw.
"I realize that I haven't said it a lot. I love you and cherish you. You are the best brother I could ask for."