Chapter 2

Smokepaw woke up in an unfamiliar den. She looked around, confused. Then she remembered that she and Wrenpaw became apprentices the night before. The other apprentices were asleep so she stretched and walked out of the den.

She saw that the clouds were blocking the sun and she could feel tiny droplets of rain on her face.

"What are you doing up so early, hm?" a male voice said behind her.

It was Proudstep, ThunderClans deputy.

"I just woke up early I guess." she replied. His expression stayed hard.

"You should sleep some more, training's going to be tough for you today." he said.

She wasn't afraid of him, but it wouldn't hurt to get some more sleep. The deputy was probably the same age as Smokepaw's mother. Smokepaw honestly admired him more than most of the cats in her clan. He was strong and just. She nodded to him.

She walked back to the den, thinking about what Flamesnout might teach her. She knew it would be tiring so she tried to relax while she still could.

...

She didn't really sleep, she just sort of waited a little longer for the rest of the clan to wake up.

"Good luck today, especially you Smokepaw; you'll need it." Hollowpaw said to Wrenpaw and her, then looked sympathetically towards her.

"Thanks but I'll be alright." she replied.

Smokepaw decided to start training early.

She walked out of the den, bidding goodbye to the other apprentices. Flamesnout was talking to Whitefur who was also a new warrior. Smokepaw assumed the two were friends.

"Oh look, there she is now." Whitefur looked at her, smiling. Smokepaw grew suspicious of why they were talking about her.

"Please go easy on her, it's her first day." Whitefur said.

"Yeah I know that." Flamesnout barked.

"You," he looked at me. "We're going to start training now, let's go." he began briskly walking to the exit to the camp.

"Just tell him if you think he's going too hard on you. It might not do much but at least he'll know." Whitefur said when Flamesnout was out of earshot.

Smokepaw nodded to Whitefur and trotted to keep up with Flamesnout.

She stopped right in front of the exit.

This was it, she could finally leave the same boring camp for the first time. She was filled with feelings of excitement and anticipation. She didn't show these overwhelming feelings on her face of course but she felt it coursing through her veins.

She pushed through the exit of the camp to be met by a beautiful forest and many new smells. Even though it was raining softly and it was cloudy, the forest was bright and full of colour.

"Come on." Flamesnout ushered impatiently. He walked straight ahead with Smokepaw following him. They walked through the damp forest, Smokepaw looked at everything with curiosity. She wanted to know more about this magical place outside the camp.

When they got far enough away from the camp, Flamesnout stopped and looked at her.

"What do you smell?" he asked, sounding bored. In truth, Smokepaw smelled many things that she couldn't distinguish. Smokepaw opened her mouth slightly and smelled the forest. She smelled some animals, only they smelled different from the fresh-kill; they smelled like they were alive and moving.