Chapter 7

Smokepaw awoke in the ShadowClan medicine den, feeling sore from her uncomfortable slumber. How could she have slept well after figuring out that ThunderClan stole two kits from ShadowClan. She was conflicted. She didn't know if she could trust ThunderClan, but the again, what if the ShadowClan elders were lying or remembered the incident wrong.
Smokepaw stretched, hearing cracks and pops from her muscles when she did. Ashfall saw that Smokepaw was awake and walked over to her.
"Hey. Only a quarter moon until the gathering." Ashfall reminded.
Which also meant only a quarter moon until she could go back to ThunderClan.

"...Did ThunderClan really steal your kits?" Smokepaw couldn't stop herself from asking.
Ashfall stayed silent, Smokepaw wasn't sure if she was going to answer.
"Yes. Including Redstar's kit. They-" Ashfall was cut off when Redstar entered the medicine den.
Over the past half-moon that Smokepaw was in ShadowClan, Redstar had tried to avoid speaking to her; or even looking at her sometimes.
"Ashfall, Deerfrost is acting up again. Can you go to the nursery to help her?" He asked.
"Of course, I'm so sorry." Ashfall sent him an apologetic look.
Redstar turned and left the den without another word.

"Who's Deerfrost?" Smokepaw asked.
"Deerfrost is...Redstar's mate. She's been suffering from so much trauma after her kit got stolen, she hasn't left the nursery since." Ashfall said solemnly.
Smokepaw asked if she could come with Ashfall to see Deerfrost, to which she replied "Yes".
After Ashfall grabbed a herb, the two walked to the nursery together in silence. Smokepaw followed Ashfall in.
Smokepaw saw a white she-cat with a grey face and feet, exactly like her. The she-cat had green eyes filled with worry.
"Where's my kit?" She asked Ashfall.
"WHERE'S MY KIT?!" She screamed.
Smokepaw ran behind Ashfall. Ashfall calmed the she-cat, giving her the herb to eat.
"Feeling better, Deerfrost?" Ashfall asked.
"Yes, thank you." Deerfrost replied.
Smokepaw wondered why Deerfrost looked almost identical to her. Then realization hit her.
"Ashfall, can I talk to you; away from the nursery?" Smokepaw requested.
Ashfall and Smokepaw walked outside of the nursery.

"She's my mother, isn't she?" Smokepaw stated.
Ashfall's silence confirmed her theory.
"I'm sorry. You could've had a better life if Hoverstar didn't take you, but it is what it is. apparently a cat named Dawnfern adopted you, so at least you had a mother figure. Do you want some alone time with Deerfrost?" Ashfall asked, Smokepaw nodded.
Smokepaw entered the nursery again, this time alone. Deerfrost was relaxing when she entered.
"Hey, Deerfrost. How's it going?" Smokepaw didn't know what to say.
This was her mother, her actual mother. This meant that she was stolen from ShadowClan and Redstar was her actual father.
Perhaps Redstar knew and was avoiding her because he didn't know what to say to her. This was also why he was eying her at the gathering, because it was his first time seeing his daughter in six moons. This also explained why the RiverClan warriors called her a traitor.

"I'm good, thank you." Deerfrost replied.
"You know I...I'm sorry about your kit."
"...That kit was my everything. From the first moment she came into this world, she was the most beautiful kit I ever saw. She had her father's eyes. I knew she would grow up to be the best cat ShadowClan has ever seen, but ThunderClan attacked our camp...I couldn't protect her. Now she's in ThunderClan, not knowing her origins. ThunderClan took away my precious kit..." she curved up into a ball.
Smokepaw was overwhelmed with sadness.
"...If she was here right now, what would you say to her?"
"...I would tell her that I love her." She answered.
Smokepaw couldn't bear being in the nursery any longer and ran out towards the medicine den. It hurt her legs to run, but she didn't care.
Smokepaw collapsed onto the ground and curled into a ball, similar to what Deerfrost had done.
Ashfall laid down next to Smokepaw and brushed her tail over her for comfort. Smokepaw's breathing was shaky and shallow.
Her overprotective mother that had always tried to shield her from the world wasn't her real mother; infact, maybe the reason Dawnfern was trying to protect her was so she didn't discover the truth. Perhaps Dawnfern didn't know Smokepaw was from ShadowClan, maybe someone gave her a kit and told her that it was abandoned. And what about her brother? Was Wrenpaw even related to her? Was he the second kit that ThunderClan stole?

"Smokepaw, I know this is a lot to take in. But you'll get through it...I had a vision of you the day you were born. I knew you would have a hard life, but you'd eventually figure something out." Ashfall said calmly.
Smokepaw could tell she was lying from her tone of voice; she had never had a vision of her, she was just trying to comfort her. She was grateful that Ashfall was trying though.
"...How could this happen? Sure, my life wasn't perfect or exciting but I knew who to trust. Now I don't know what to do." She said through the lump in her throat.
That fake vision didn't ease her nerves; it didn't matter if she dealt with it, she didn't want it to have happened in the first place.

"You know, it'll be time to eat soon. Want to go outside?" Ashfall asked.
"I'm not hungry. I'm just going to get some sleep."