Chapter 22

Another little while passed. DuneClan didn't attend the next gathering, for they were too sore. Omni's wounds had become scars, and were now bright pink.
The leaves were falling faster than she'd thought. She would have to leave soon.
Albatross and Lite discussed where they should live, now that the cave was destroyed. Since everyone was healed enough to stand, Vox had called a private meeting with him and DuneClan.

"Have you decided on a place to stay?" Vox asked.
"No." Lite's ears drooped.
"Well, we could go to the tide pools. There's lots of food there." Omni suggested.
"Yes, but it's pretty far away from FireClan. The tide pools don't have any fresh water or places to make a camp." Albatross said, like he'd already thought of that option.
"Have you considered...maybe staying here. We have plenty of water, food and space for you to stay." Vox interjected.
How could he say that? He was putting his own clan in jeopardy. If FireClan and DuneClan had a disagreement, that could lead to a war, which would inevitably destroy the place.

"No offence, but sometimes you're terribly naïve." Albatross chuckled.
"I am a great leader." Vox stated, making everyone wait for him to continue.
"I killed Rebel by myself and I made FireClan into a peaceful, thriving clan. I know you, Albatross. I know you are a righteous leader and you listen to the voice of reason. Take this offer, and I promise both our clans will be happy."
It was nice seeing Vox give himself some credit for everything he's done. He was young, but he was quite strong and inspirational.
Albatross stared at the ground, considering Vox's offer.
"Alright, we'll stay."

Vox told Omni to stay after DuneClan left.
"Lynx wants to go with you to ThunderClan. She says that she would like to be a part of a real clan and get away from all the twolegs' around here." He relayed.
"Uh, you're okay with this?"
"Yes. But, I do need a new healer after she's gone." He sighed.
Omni got an idea.
"I'm sure Lite would like to do that."
"Lite? But he's in DuneClan." He looked at her, interested in what she would say next.
"Yes, but you know he's as old as Albatross. He doesn't have an important role. I'm positive Fox will become the next leader, and I fear that Lite thinks he has no purpose. You could ask him if he wants to do it."

...

"What?" Spirit leaned towards Albatross.
They'd gone back to the hollow after the meeting to rest.
"I want you to become our healer. You remind me most of a medicine cat, you should do it. You don't have to fight and you can learn from Lynx with Lite." Albatross repeated.
She looked at the rest of DuneClan, Omni nodded to her.
"Okay. I'll do it."
"Great."
Albatross turned to Fox.
"I would like for you to become my deputy. That means that we don't have to fight for leadership, but you will take over when I'm too old or when I pass away."
Fox looked taken aback, but proud that he was chosen for this role.
"Thank you." Fox bowed his head.
"Now, everyone get some rest. Omni has to leave in a few days, we need to be strong to compensate for when she does." He looked over at her, then back to his clan.

Omni couldn't believe it was only a few days until she could go home. She would miss DuneClan tremendously, but she promised herself that she would come back and visit. Everyone fell asleep fast, except for Albatross, who had left the hollow at moonhigh. Omni followed him to make sure he was alright.
She found Albatross curled into a ball with his ears drooped.
Poor thing. He probably missed his friend, and his home. But sleeping in the cold wouldn't help.
Omni nudged his side, waking him up.
"It's cold out. Come back inside."
Albatross hesitated, but dragged his feet back to the hollow.

"I'm sorry for being so hard on you. You just reminded me of what I tried so hard to forget. You can stay with us if you want." He stated.
"I'm sorry, I can't. I have a family to get back to. I made a promise to my friend, and to my clan, that I'd return stronger than when I left. But I promise I'll come back to visit."
Albatross nodded, laying in a warm corner of the hollow.