Chapter 36

At the next gathering, all five apprentices attended.
Maplepaw stayed close to Smokestorm the whole time and Smokestorm chatted a little bit to Lionmane, RiverClan's deputy.
It passed in a bit of a flash.
All of the leaders ended up yelling at each other, including Proudstar. Smokestorm had had to go up to him and ThunderClan left the gathering early.
Smokestorm knew war was near.

The day after the gathering, Smokestorm assigned warriors on the dawn patrol, then she made her way to Proudstar's den.
Proudstar sharpened his claws on the ground.
"Proudstar, what are we going to do about this four-way war?" She asked.
"...We need more warriors. Fast. I want you, Spiderclaw, Wrenfeather and Whitefur to test your apprentices to see if they're ready to become warriors." He commanded.
Smokestorm nodded, knowing her apprentices were ready.
She left his den and walked over to the warriors' den.
"All mentors, gather here." She said.
Wrenfeather, Spiderclaw and Whitefur all sat in a semi-circle around her.
"Proudstar wants us to test our apprentices to become warriors today, be honest if they aren't ready." The three nodded.

Smokestorm decided to visit Darkcloud before she left with her apprentices.
She knew he'd never really recovered from Hollowfang's death, so she wanted to comfort him. She entered the Darkcloud's den, seeing that he was sitting alone in the corner.
She walked over and sat next to him.
Darkcloud leaned against her and nuzzled into her. She returned the gesture, knowing that he needed this. The two stayed like that in silence for a long while.
What was this feeling? This wasn't different from happiness.
Darkcloud cleared his throat, composing himself.
"You should get going. Your apprentices are waiting." He said quietly, not looking at her.
Smokestorm ran her tail over Darkcloud's back in a comforting way, before leaving to get her apprentices.

Smokestorm found Sparrowpaw and Spottedpaw waiting for her in the apprentices' den. Smokestorm called Flamesnout over to help her watch both of her apprentices.
She knew they were both skilled in fighting, since the only thing they did during isolation was practice fighting. She led them out and told them that they both had to go on their own and hunt some prey.
They both scurried off and Flamesnout lagged back for a second.
"I'm really proud of you for becoming deputy." He said, then dashed off after Sparrowpaw.
Smokestorm loosely followed Spottedpaw. Spottedpaw had paused by a tree, tasting the air.
She then continued walking towards the scent of a rabbit. Spottedpaw used all of the techniques she'd been taught and flawlessly caught the rabbit. She then buried it to retrieve later.
She spotted a squirrel on a tree branch and climbed the tree silently, catching it before it could scamper away.

By sundown, she had caught five prey. Smokestorm was very impressed and congratulated her on her hunt.
Flamesnout informed her that Sparrowpaw had caught four prey and she thanked Flamesnout for his help.
Smokestorm told the apprentices that they could relax for the rest of the day, and that they deserved it. She waited for the other mentors to come back with their reports.
All apprentices had done well, but Spottedpaw had caught the most prey out of all of them.
Smokestorm reported to Proudstar that they were all ready to become warriors.
He announced to the clan that the apprentices would become warriors before moonhigh.

"Already?"
"Really?!"
"Awesome!"
"About time."
"I can't wait for tonight!"
Were the apprentices reactions.
Smokestorm congratulated them all.
Sparrowpaw came up to her and nuzzled into her. He, Lightpaw and Gingerpaw, we're all her size now.
"Thank you for being an amazing mentor." He said.
Smokestorm purred.
She'd been so worried about failing him as a mentor, and now he was about to become a warrior. Time moves so fast.
That night, Proudstar hopped onto the highrock with Smokestorm sitting the closest.

"I, Proudstar, leader of ThunderClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on these apprentices. They have trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and I commend them to you as warriors in their turn."
Proudstar turned to Maplepaw.
"Maplepaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend your Clan, even at the cost of your life?" He asked.
"I do."
"Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name. Maplepaw, from this moment on you will be known as Mapleflame. StarClan honors your kindness and strength, and we welcome you as a full warrior of ThunderClan."

Proudstar then turned to Gingerpaw.
"Gingerpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend your Clan, even at the cost of your life?" He asked.
Gingerpaw looked at Whitefur. He gave her a nod and a smile.
"I do." She replied.
"Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name.Gingerpaw, from this moment on you will be known as Gingerpelt. StarClan honors your keenness and loyalty, and we welcome you as a full warrior of ThunderClan."

Proudstar turned to Lightpaw.
"Lightpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend your Clan, even at the cost of your life?" He asked.
"I do." He nodded.
"Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name. Lightpaw, from this moment on you will be known as Lightfoot. StarClan honors your bravery and wit, and we welcome you as a full warrior of ThunderClan."

Proudstar looked at Spottedpaw.
"Spottedpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend your Clan, even at the cost of your life?" He asked.
"I do."
"Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name. Spottedpaw, from this moment on you will be known as Spottedfrost. StarClan honors your intelligence and skill, and we welcome you as a full warrior of ThunderClan."

Proudstar finally turned to Sparrowpaw.
"Sparrowpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend your Clan, even at the cost of your life?" He asked.
Sparrowpaw looked at Smokestorm, as if asking for permission. This was hardfor her. She was going to give him permission to become his own indep warrior. She nodded.
"I do."
"Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name. Sparrowpaw, from this moment on you will be known as Sparrowstripe. StarClan honors your enthusiasm and open mindedness, and we welcome you as a full warrior of ThunderClan."

ThunderClan cheered for the new warriors.
The apprentices whispered something to each other, then walked over to where their mentors were. Smokestorm happened to be sitting relatively close to Spiderclaw, Wrenfeather and Whitefur.
"Thank you for mentoring us!" they all said in unison.
Smokestorm was a little surprised, but bowed her head to them.