Chapter 40

Proudstar and the rogues finally emerged from camp.
Smokestorm met up with him and quickly ran through the plan.
"Where are we fighting anyways?" Smokestorm asked.
"At the last gathering, they were saying something about a field in WindClan territory. It's also where I smelled some RiverClan warriors a little while before you arrived. I'll lead the way." he replied.
Proudstar turned to the clan.
"ThunderClan! Today, we avenge those we've lost. Fawnheart, Hollowfang, Hoverstar, and all those we lost in leaf-bare. Their deaths will not be in vain! We shall emerge victorious!" He yelled.
Everyone shouted in response.
Proudstar charged towards WindClan, the rest of the clan followed closely behind. Their fast pace made the increasing rain sting Smokestorm's eyes.
Proudstar finally slowed down at the edge of WindClan's border.
"We have to slow down. Around the battlefield will be a small hill and many trees. We will hide behind those while Smokestorm and the scouters check out the area."

Smokestorm gathered the scouters (Whitefur, Duskwing, Gingerpelt and Mapleflame) and moved ahead of the main group.
"Remember, don't fight unless they attack first. Our only objective right now is to scope out the area. It's unlikely, but if we're lucky, we may not need to get involved in the battle if we stay hidden. Don't count on it though." Smokestorm reminded the little group.
Her gaze shifted to Mapleflame, who was trembling uncontrollably. Smokestorm slowed down to walk next to her.
"Hey, are you up for this?" She asked.
"I'm just scared." Mapleflame replied with a shaky voice.
"Mapleflame, I understand that you're afraid. Okay? I'm afraid. There is a chance that we could die out there. But we can't let our fear stop us from doing what's right. We can't let our pain stop us. If you're really not up for this, you can go back to camp and protect it with Lightfoot. But if you stay here, you fight, you have earned your name." she stated.
Mapleflame looked up at Smokestorm with hopeful eyes.
"What will you do with your pain? Will you let it break you, or will you let it redefine you?" She added.
Smokestorm was interrupted by a yowle from up ahead. She turned to her group.
"Everyone follow me. Remember what we discussed."

Smokestorm trusted that Proudstar and the clan were close behind them as the scouters stepped over the hill, and onto the battlefield. It was indeed a large field, surrounded by oak trees. The field itself was only grass, perfect for a fight.
Mapleflame strode confidently behind Smokestorm.
Jaggedstar, Sunear and all of WindClan were directly opposite the scouters. Halfstar, Lionmane, and the rest of RiverClan was to the left. The scouters stepped onto the field, attracting the attention of the two clans.
Jaggedstar stood up and slowly walked towards the scouters.
"Ah, ThunderClan! I was hoping you would show up. I was planning to attack your camp but then I smelled something quite unexpected...rogues." She gave Smokestorm a look of pure hatred.
"Turns out your traitorous past came in handy after all." She added.

Smokestorm glanced at Halfstar, RiverClan's leader.
Why would he ally his clan with WindClan? They aren't trustworthy, loyal or kind.
She already knew the answer. WindClan was the safest alliance to make. They were the biggest clan and seemingly the smartest. Based on what Heatherpelt told her, they needed a strong alliance that would have the strongest probability of success.
Smokestorm only hissed at Jaggedstar.
"Where's the rest of your clan? I can smell them lurking around somewhere." Jaggedstar scanned the trees behind the scouters.
"FOCUS ON ME." Smokestorm snapped.
Jaggedstar's attention immediately fell on Smokestorm. All of Smokestorm's anger finally sunk in.
"So, she speaks." Jaggedstar retorted.
Jaggedstar was finally close enough to begin circling Smokestorm. Smokestorm did the same, and also walked in a circle around Jaggedstar.
"Your clan killed my leader, my deputy, and one of my closest friends."
"Oh please. Look where that got you. Why are you complaining when those deaths promoted you."
"How did you know about me becoming the deputy?"
"Come on, now. After killing your deputy, there were limited viable options for your leader to choose from."
"You underestimate my clan. You don't know what we can do."
"Believe me, young deputy. I know EXACTLY what your clan can do. YOU'RE THE ONE WHO KILLED MY SON!"
Smokestorm paused in her tracks.
"We didn't kill any WindClan cats." she stated, confident in her words.
Jaggedstar paused, glaring at Smokestorm.
"My son, Firebird, never returned after our fight a half moon ago. One of my warriors looked for him on the outskirts of your territory this morning, and he found his body at the bottom of a ditch!"
Smokestorm's insides churned, but she gathered her words.
"He was alive when I left him. He mustn't have been able to get out of the ditch by himself. It's most likely that he died of thirst. He's only dead because you didn't care enough to look for him sooner!" Smokestorm spat.

Jaggedstar hissed and launched at Smokestorm.
"NOW!" Smokestorm yelled, before getting knocked down by the furious WindClan leader.
And so the battle commenced.