Chapter 5

Smokepaw and Hollowpaw dashed back to the ThunderClan camp faster than ever before. Smokepaw slowed as they neared the camp, but Hollowpaw continued.
Curse these stupid elders bones!
She shouted internally.
Since birth, she had always had problems with her muscles. They would seize up and crack when she ran long distances too fast. Luckily, Blackpool had confirmed that it wasn't a life threatening disease but it would be very irritating and inconvenient at times.
"Hoverstar! Hoverstar! RiverClan's planning to attack us!" Hollowpaw shouted as the apprentices made it back. Hoverstar stumbled out of his den with Proudstep.
"What?"
"We almost drowned but Flamesnout saved us and brought us to land, but it was RiverClan territory and someone caught us there. Flamesnout said that he would keep watch at the border while we inform you." Smokepaw stated. Hoverstar paused.
"Proudstep, gather a few warriors and apprentices to keep watch at the border. Make sure to leave most of the warriors to protect camp if needed. Hollowpaw, come with me to my den afterwards." Hoverstar stated. Proudstep nodded.
"Quailwhisker, Duskwing, Wrenpaw and Smokepaw will come with me to patrol the border. Everyone else, stay here and stay alert." Proudstep commanded. Proudstep ran towards the river with Smokepaw and the others following.

They arrived at the river to be met by Flamesnout.
"Flamesnout, has anything happened while we were gone?" Proudstep asked. Flamesnout shook his head.
"I have a feeling that they'll wait until nightfall." Flamesnout replied.

...

Smokepaw staired beyond the river, prepared for an attack at any moment. As the sun got lower, the star lake slowly began to show.
She looked around; everyone was also intently watching the river, unaware of the star lake.
Smokepaw remembered the ShadowClan ghost, perhaps he could assist her if he wasn't just a hallucination.
"Crimsonpelt. I need your help." She whispered. A chill went up her spine as her hackles rose.
The ShadowClan tom appeared in front of her.
"Can you go over to RiverClan territory and tell me when they're coming?" she asked.
The ghost slowly nodded and disappeared.

"Hey, Smokepaw. How are you?" Duskwing asked as he made his way to sit beside her.
"I'm fine." She answered plainly for most of her attention was on the river.
"Listen, I know I don't spend a lot of time with you. I'm just busy with warrior duties, I know you probably miss having a father." Smokepaw was expecting an apology instead of an excuse.
"You can't miss what you never had, Duskwing." She made sure to stretch out "Duskwing" so he would hopefully get the message. Duskwing nodded slowly and gave her some space. She shook her head in disappointment at him.

"They are here." An echoed voice said.
"What? Where?" Smokepaw replied, knowing it was Crimsonpelt communicating with her.
The sun had now completely gone down, making Smokepaw's hackles rise further. She knew it would only be a matter of time before the star lake shone.
"They are across the river, watching you." He replied. Crimsonpelt appeared next to her.
Smokepaw ran over to Proudstep to warn him of the incoming danger.
"Proudstep, I think they're here." Smokepaw stated worriedly.
"All warriors, stay sharp. Prepare for an attack." He commanded the warriors. Smokepaw could tell that he didn't completely trust her word that they were here, considering that he couldn't see them yet.
"Smokepaw, get Wrenpaw. If RiverClan attacks, you two need to run and warn the clan. Under no circumstances will you fight. Understand?" He asked. Smokepaw nodded her head and trotted to Wrenpaw. She told him of the plan and the two siblings readied themselves.
RiverClan's scent neared as multiple warriors emerged from the shadows. They dashed to the river and swam to the other side.
"Smokepaw, Wrenpaw, go now!" Proudstep yelled.

Smokepaw sprinted back to camp with her brother next to her. She pushed through the pain in her muscles and kept running.
"They're here!" Wrenpaw shouted.
The warriors and Hoverstar prepared for battle while the medicine cat and queens hid. Smokepaw caught a glimpse of Darkpaw's frightened face. She sent him a reassuring look, which he returned before disappearing into the medicine den with Blackpool.
"Apprentices, go to the back of the camp. We may need you in the fight but I want to try and prevent you from getting involved." Hoverstar stated. The four apprentices did as he asked.

RiverClan came storming in. They attacked all of the warriors viciously. Smokepaw stayed prepared for an attack directed at her. One of the toms charged at the apprentices, Smokepaw recognized him as Cobrascale; RiverClan's deputy.
Spiderpaw pounced on him and clawed at his face. Cobrascale whipped his head around, attempting t get Spiderpaw to stop. Eventually, Spiderpaw flung off. Cobrascale, now with a fresh scar over his right eye, pounced at Smokepaw.
She realized that she hadn't been trained very well to fight.
She saw the attack coming but wasn't fast enough to dodge. Cobrascale clawed at her back but Wrenpaw jumped on him, sending him off her. Smokepaw ignored the pain and stood up, charging at Cobrascale.
Her, Wrenpaw and Hollowpaw ruthlessly scratched at bit him to the point where he had to run.

Smokepaw was too distracted by Cobrascale retreating that she hadn't noticed a RiverClan cat run up behind her and pick her up by the scruff.
She was a bit too old to be carried that way so her paws dragged along the ground. She wriggled and spun but nothing could get her away as she was being carried back to RiverClan. She managed to see a glimpse of the cat that captured her, it was Rosepelt. Once they arrived at the RiverClan camp, Rosepelt dropped Smokepaw.
"Nice work, Rosepelt." One of the warriors said.
Smokepaw was surrounded by six RiverClan warriors; there weren't many since most went off to fight ThunderClan, including their leader.
"You've got no-one to protect you now."
Smokepaw hissed defensively, making the warriors take a step back.
"Are you sure it's this one?" One of them asked the other.
"Yes, I'm sure."

"We'll teach you what happens to little traitors who steal our prey." Rosepelt said.
Traitor? What did Smokepaw do to them?
"Rest well, apprentice." Rosepelt launched at Smokepaw; with one swift swipe of Rosepelt'sclaws, she sliced open Smokepaw's neck.

Everything faded to black.