Chapter 18

Another quarter moon passed quickly.
The days seemed shorter for her, since most of them were spent watching the sand. Omni and Tangle got along quite well. Spirit was very nice too, but preferred her alone time. She kind of reminded Omni of herself, always trying to be alone.
When she got home, she promised herself that she would appreciate her friends and family more than she did.
Yellow was nice too, but mostly spent his time pestering Meadow. Fox was usually spending his time with Lite and Albatross.

Fox would definitely be DuneClan's next leader. He was the strongest and the most fit to lead.
Omni stated off into the distance. It would still be a little while until she needed to find prey and come back to camp.
Albatross had said that the tide pool was too far from camp to use as a regular hunting spot, but it would be fine for special occasions.
Omni knew that nothing was going to happen on her patrol, so she decided to run to the outskirts of FireClan's territory and eat early.

Omni had to pass Sharptooth's region, where Fox was patrolling, to get there. FireClan's territory was patrolled by Lite, who gladly let her hunt early.
She caught a rabbit and ate it on the outskirts, the slowly dying grass reminding her somewhat of home.
She soon finished and made her way back to her area, but heard a faint noise.
What was it?
She stopped walking and listened intently.

It was growling and hissing...and it was coming from Sharptooth's region.

...

She finally forced her legs to run towards the hissing, remembering what Proudstep had told her.
Remember, if you encounter a predator, either run or go for its eyes.
If a Sharptooth was attacking Fox, she couldn't run for help or he'd be dead when she returned. She had to go now.
The hissing and growling grew louder as she drew nearer.

Finally she spotted them.
Fox was in the middle of trying to pounce on the giant beast, but it moved too fast for him. The Sharptooth was more than twice the size of a warrior and, as the name implied, had long yellow fangs.
Without thinking, Omni launched herself at the Sharptooth, latching onto its shoulder blade.
It flung her off easily, slashing across her snout, but she was able to get Fox some time to jump on its back and claw it from behind.
Omni's back hit the rocky ground hard. She rested for a while, unable to move. She saw that Fox was struggling, and the Sharptooth was spinning and thrashing around to get him off.

Omni pushed through the pain in her back and ignored the pain in her snout and ran back towards the Sharptooth. Luckily, it's attention was on Fox and she was able to pounce on its face.
She slammed her claws in its eyes, blinding it. She Sharptooth let out an ear piercing yowle and flailed on the ground in pain. Fox ran over to it and slashed its neck, finally killing it.
They both panted and stared at the now dead Sharptooth.
She actually helped kill a Sharptooth!

"Thanks." Fox muttered.
"I wouldn't have made it if you didn't show up when you did." He said, sounding ashamed.
She debated comforting him, but she couldn't form any words.
"You're welcome." Was all she said.
The sun began to set. Omni offered to wait for him to hunt something and they could walk back together but he refused, saying that he'd lost his appetite after that fight.

When they returned, everyone was asking about the bloodstains on their claws and pelts.
Fox told the clan everything that had happened.
"Get some sleep early. You must be tired." Omni stated.
"I'm fine." Fox replied.
"I wasn't asking. You'll be tired and aching in the morning if you don't." She said.
Fox actually complied. It felt good that DuneClan was starting to accept her.
"ThunderClan cats can kill Sharptooths?" Yellow asked from behind her.
"I've never seen anyone kill a Sharptooth before, mainly because there aren't a lot of Sharptooths where we live. But, I've heard stories about the clan defeating wolves, large dogs and even a bear one time." She sat across from him.
"Wow! You're so cool!" He exclaimed.
Yeah, her clan was pretty cool. She should have realized it sooner. Her exile was not her fault, but even before then she never really appreciated how amazing ThunderClan was and how lucky she was to be in it.

"Is your leader like Albatross?" Yellow asked.
"No. he's pretty nice, but he's very insecure and makes bad choices sometimes. He banished me because he thought I would expose him, which I probably would have. But, he kind of blackmailed me and his deputy." She explained.
"That's mean." He huffed.
"Yes, it is. But, deep down, Hoverstar's just scared of losing his good reputation. I can understand that, but I cannot forgive him. Maybe when I go back, I'll talk with him so we can both see eye to eye."