Chapter 4

Smokepaw exited the camp and walked carefully through the forest. Every small sound startled her, for she was still afraid of the darkness. The green light of the star lake helped her see better, but it gave everything an eerie tone. She followed the voices that were getting louder as she walked farther.

"Hello, Smokepaw." a voice echoed through the forest.

"Who are you? What do you want?" she asked. The forest went silent. A tom-cat with a red pelt emerged from the darkness in front of her. She leaped backwards but kept her eyes locked on him. Her heartbeat quickened.

"What's going on?" she asked. She was confused at how she wasn't able to hear or smell the mysterious tom.

"I understand your confusion, but you need to calm down." the tom's voice echoed though he was in front of her. It took her a moment to realize.

"You're not real..." she said quietly. She wondered if she was dreaming; but everything felt real enough.

"What are you?" she repeated.

"I'm a spirit."

"Then shouldn't you be in StarClan or something?"

"...I was. I came here because I felt that you were in need of guidance."

"Who are you?" she asked, noticing that he looked familiar.

"My name is Crimsonpelt, a ShadowClan warrior."

Smokepaw then noticed why he was so familiar, it didn't take long to connect the dots.

"Are you related to Redstar?"

The tom did nothing, but Smokepaw understood the message; yes.

Smokepaw was about to question the ghost further, but she heard footsteps coming her way. Smokepaw looked back at the ghost, then slowly walked away from him and back to camp.

She smelled Proudstep's familiar scent. Proudstep came into view and padded towards her.

"What are you doing out here? It's too dangerous for you to leave camp by yourself, especially at night." he stated sternly. Smokepaw's ears flattened in apology. She felt bad about upsetting her role model.

"I'm sorry, I just...wanted to explore." She lied.

Proudstep sighed, his expression turning softer. He gave her an understanding look.

"Let's get you back to camp." Smokepaw felt like he had more to say, but she brushed it off and followed him. Proudstep took her to the warriors' den.

"I have a feeling that you can't sleep." he spoke quietly, careful not to wake the warriors. She nodded shamefully.

"I understand that your situation with Flamesnout isn't exactly good, would you like for me to take his place as your mentor?" he asked as they both sat down on the cold floor.

Smokepaw wanted him to train her, so she could be like him. But she wasn't going to give up that easily, she wanted to prove that she could withstand Flamesnout's...odd training methods. She also knew that it would be difficult for Proudstep to balance his deputy duties and mentoring her.

"I'm okay for now." She straightened her posture. Proudstep's ears flattened.

"What?"

"You just...you remind me of myself." he said gently. Smokepaw wondered why he got so emotional, it was just a little thing. Perhaps something traumatizing happened to him?

Smokepaw knew there was a choice of whether or not they would go to sleep or stay awake for the remainder of the night.

"How did you become the deputy?" Smokepaw asked. She obviously knew how he became the deputy, she was more asking what he did to earn his place as the deputy.